CHAPTER 6: Pretty Babies

"I was the mangler long before the newspapers knew about me," Daniel said. "They were the ones who named me The Mill Creek Mangler. I kind of liked it, the way it flowed off the tongue. But none of them had an inkling of how many kills I had under my belt. They only knew about the girls who had disappeared at that point in time." He took a drink from the chilled can of soda he'd gotten from the RV fridge and smiled at Rick. "I started decades ago. My boy's first kill was his mother. Granted, he jumped the gun and made a mess, forcing me to come up with a rushed story about her death, but in the end, no one suspected foul play."

The mom, Janet, was shaking and crying so hard that Daniel thought she might have a breakdown. He didn't want her to check out before he took his turn at her. Their awareness heightened their fear, and it was the fear that made it all so fucking satisfying.

Daniel rested his hand on the back of her neck and gently massaged with his fingertips. "No need to get so upset, Janet," he spoke with a soothing tone. "I like you." He inched closer and ran his other hand along her thigh. Janet broke into a fresh bout of sobs, her breath coming short and quick. Daniel nuzzled her ear. "You might even like me, too, before I'm finished with you."

"No... no..." Janet cried when he slipped his hand between her thighs and rubbed her through her pants. "Don't... don't..."

"Stop," Rick choked. His wife's nails gouged into his hands. "Please... stop."

Daniel smiled and withdrew. "You have a good woman here. I can tell. My wife was a good woman. She kept me grounded. I even stopped killing for her. But when she was gone, I went back to it. I'd forgotten how much I craved the thrill of the kill. That first one, after my wife's death... it was like finding myself again, the true me." Daniel drew a deep breath and exhaled in a sigh. "I remember every detail as if it happened yesterday."

• • •

The wild one squatted on his haunches on the floor at the end of the bed, arms folded on the mattress, chin resting on his arms. He'd been like that since he rejoined them in the bedroom. He didn't speak... just watched them, green eyes shifting back and forth between the boys, mostly.

Trying to choose which one he wanted first?

When he made his decision... what would he do to them?

Kiley held her little brothers as closely and tightly as possible. But if the crazy man tried to take them away from her, she couldn't stop him.

"Wh-Why is he staring at us like that?" Sammy whispered through his tears. "What's he gonna do to us?"

Kiley wanted to reassure him that she wouldn't let anyone hurt them, but even Sammy knew she couldn't keep them safe. "I don't know," Kiley answered thickly.

"I want Mom and Dad," Sammy sobbed. "Where are they?"

"They're out front." Kiley kissed his head. "They're okay." She prayed with all her heart it was true. She occasionally heard her dad's voice... and her mom crying. They were alive.

On her left, Solomon burrowed beneath her arm, shaking and shedding silent tears. He hadn't spoken since they'd run inside the RV trying to escape the men.

Sammy gasped and shoved harder against Kiley when the wild one shifted and rose a little. He flattened his hands on the bed and crawled slowly forward, green eyes gleaming with insanity and... lust.

"No..." Kiley whimpered, holding the boys tighter. "Don't touch my brothers." She drew her legs further up the bed, ready to kick him if he reached for one of the twins.

The young man slinked forward, grinning just enough to show the tips of his sharp teeth.

Solomon's breath grew harder and shorter as he began to hyperventilate. Sammy cried and tried to burrow behind his big sister like a frightened puppy.