CHAPTER 7: Run, Run, As Fast As You Can

Daniel left the table and joined the driver at the front of the RV when the rig turned off the two-lane road onto a gravel road. Rick squeezed Janet's hands, wanting desperately to reassure her that they would find a way out of this, but the men were taking them deeper into the woods.

Someplace private and secluded. So, they can take their time.

Rick battled the urge to vomit, he was so terrified for his family. If he thought he could bargain with the men, offer up himself willingly... if they would let his wife and children go free... he wouldn't hesitate. But he had no leverage. His entire family was at the mercy of merciless men.

"Wh-what're we going to do?" Janet whispered, raising watery, bloodshot eyes to Rick. "They're going to kill us, Rick. They're going to..." She clutched his hands, shaking with sobs. "... they're going to... kill our children."

They would do so much more to all of them... before they killed them. And somehow that was more terrifying than death.

"Don't let them hurt our babies," Janet sobbed. "Please, Rick."

Janet understood that her husband had no power to save them, but she was running on pure desperation. If by some miracle they survived this nightmare, Janet would apologize for laying such a crushing burden on Rick's shoulders. He knew this. She was a scared mom, desperate to keep her children safe. Rick understood—he was a scared dad, desperate for the same.

"Daniel has a gun," Rick whispered. "Maybe if I can get it..." Could he kill another human being? He didn't know. But these men weren't human beings—they were monsters. Could he kill a monster to protect his family? He believed he could.

The RV rolled through a stand of evergreens and came to a full stop. Up ahead, a chain ran across the road, bearing a closed sign. Beyond the chain gate were glimpses of small cabins through the trees and a white utility van. Daniel looked at the driver and nodded. The driver blared the horn. After three more honks, a man appeared at the head of the parking area, donning snow pants and a thick parka with the hood pulled up, hiding most of his face.

Daniel and the driver climbed out of the RV as the other man approached.

Rick stood and took a couple of steps toward the front of the RV to get a better look out of the front windshield. The younger inmate guarding the bedroom crawled to his feet, watching Rick. Raising his hands a little, Rick shook his head. "I-I'm not trying anything, I just... I just wanted to see what was happening."

The young man crept forward till he hovered behind Rick, his breath hot on the back of Rick's neck. "They're gonna kill him," he cackled low, sending chills down Rick's spine. "Pull out his guts and cut him up."

Rick didn't want the answer to his next question but couldn't draw it back. "Is... is that what they're going to do to us?"

The young man grinned against the back of Rick's head and raked his teeth down his neck. "Mm-hm. After they fuck you."

Shaking inside, Rick whispered, "Are... are my kids okay? Did you... hurt them?" Rick struggled to keep it together as his throat constricted and his eyes filled. "I-I don't care what you do to me... but please... don't hurt my family... my wife... my children... I love them..." He ducked his head and swallowed hard, tears rolling down his face. "Please..."

Sharp teeth scraped along his meaty trap muscles and sank into his flesh a little. Rick's breath staggered in his throat and Janet gasped, whimpering in terror. The young inmate maintained his hold, hot breath steaming through his jagged teeth. Rick held perfectly still but for his erratic heart beating wildly in his chest as pain webbed through his neck and up into his head.