Chapter 10 - The Cheat

Twami was a kitten that old Edmund had bought as a pet to ease his loneliness, always treating her very well.

I had seen her a few times at the market while she was busy shopping for her owners, and after his death a couple of weeks ago she had been taken to the ghetto waiting to understand what would be done with her.

When Jorn and I arrived in the square, the situation was nothing short of explosive; Daemon and a dozen of my companions were all that stood between Beek's men and Twami, who clung to that super-gifted cow Lori trembling with fear.

"What's going on?"

"Thank goodness you're here," Daemon said as if I was his savior. "They want to enter the ghetto and take Twami away."

"What?! For what reason?"

"It's easy to figure out!" snapped the Commander. "That old fart Edmund was a known reunionist, and we have proof that a secret meeting took place in his house shortly before his death to plan an attack – the same attack in which they killed two of my men! That animal must have certainly heard or seen something, so I want to question her to find out what she knows."

"This is beyond ridiculous," Daemon said. "Twami barely understands our language. What on Earth could she tell you?"

"Moreover, there is not a single judge who would accept the word of a slave against that of a free citizen. Anything she can tell you would be useless."

"I'm tired of you brats! I said I would arrest her and I intend to! Soldiers, take that beast!"

At that point, I instinctively did something I never thought I'd do: I drew my sword and pointed it against him.

"Stop! That's enough!"

To my astonishment, my men did the same, and in the space of a moment a wall of shields stood between that kitten and Beek's men, and Beek turned red with rage.

"How dare you raise your arms against us? We are the delegates of the people of Eirinn and of Her Majesty the Emperor! The representatives of the law!"

"I've already sent a letter to the Governor, and he has authorized the declaration of a state of emergency. And as you should know, during a state of emergency, the management of the ghettos comes entirely under the control of the legions. You are no longer entitled to stay here."

In the meantime, a small audience of slaves had formed all around us, watching with obvious astonishment my companions and me protecting one of them.

"I hear your grandfather was a well-known Reunion sympathizer too, boy. And your father and mother, too. Maybe I should have a chat with her and search her a bit."

I don't know what kept me from driving my sword into his neck.

"Get out of here, you damned lunatic. And take this gang of butchers away with you."

He growled like a mad dog on chains, but he knew his hands were tied.

"Don't think it's over here, you filthy beasts! You may be safe here, but out there you are still in my power! Wait and see!"

As if we didn't feel safe, my companions and I kept our shields up until we saw Beek and his men disappear beyond the gate, which we closed once we got out with a new set of padlocks.

"It's like he said. We can protect them while they're in here, but the mines and sawmills remain under militia control."

"Can you get Twami off work?"

"I can do better. I have a friend in Basterwick. He and his family are looking for a new housekeeper. I'll get him to buy her."

"Thank you."