Chapter 25 - The Dungeon

First the wizard statue's staff began to glow, then that light spread in every direction across the floor like a wave, enveloping the mummies who began to awaken.

"Great, necromancy. Just what we needed." Dahlia said as she unsheathed her scepter.

"I don't think it's necromancy." Jonah answered. "The Chronicles say that the Mad Wizard is the one who created and perfected the bind."

"So these beings are moved by servant stones?"

To make sure of this, Dahlia cast a revealing spell, and indeed a glowing core appeared on the neck of each mummy.

"You're right. Those are definitely old servant stones."

"Good to know." Musk said unsheathing his ax "So it will be enough to destroy them to send these funny guys back to the world of the dead. Come on folks, it's time to hit hard!"

He, Sadee, and Jonah went on the attack, while Dahlia and Gaston stayed behind to provide support with darts and magic.

Being very old stones, a well-aimed blow was enough to destroy them and make the mummies harmless, but they certainly had no intention of falling without a fight and despite being armed with dull or broken weapons, they attacked with all their strength relying above all on numbers.

The same magic that made them move also allowed the sorcerers among the mummies to use elementary spells, and even if Sadee and her companions were used to dealing with magic, the numerical inferiority made everything more difficult.

Luckily for them they could count on Jonah, who once again demonstrated his extraordinary ability, first as a fencer and then, having recovered the bow of a destroyed enemy, also as an archer, piercing the servant stones one after the other with shocking precision.

Eventually, one after another, most of the mummies fell defeated, and once Musk had smashed the statue of the wizard into a split stump with one mighty axe, even the last remaining ones returned to their eternal slumber.

"You have to be really sick to think of such a thing." said the ogre in front of the macabre spectacle of the floor covered with chopped up corpses. "I'm not so sure I want to get my hands on a treasure that belonged to a guy like that anymore."

"Give me a break!" Gaston replied "With all that we are going through, going back empty handed is out of question."

The destruction of the statue had also caused the barrier to disappear, so they continued the exploration.

The five adventurers advanced along yet another corridor, the last according to the map, at the end of which they found waiting for them a sturdy stone door closed by a bronze seal and two magical padlocks.

"Here we are." Sadee said. "This is supposed to be the sarcophagus room. The wizard's treasure will surely be in here."

An inscription was also engraved on the door, which Jonah read aloud.

"As this tomb has hidden my riches from the eyes of the world, so may the veil of oblivion hide my legacy from the eyes of men."

Dahlia needed less than ten seconds to remove the magical seals, and when Musk had also shattered the physical one it was finally time to open.

A dazzling glow illuminated the faces of the five adventurers before they could even fully open the doors, and when they were inside what they saw before them cannot be described in human words.

It wasn't a treasure, it was the treasure.

The treasure that every adventurer dreams of finding in his life.