Chapter 42 - Counterattack

"No crime is permissible in war,

unless necessary."

"I hope you're joking!" Philippe shouted at the poor messenger

"I hope you're joking!" Philippe shouted at the poor messenger. "Repeat what you said!"

"Unfortunately it's all true, your Excellency. An enemy force suddenly attacked the village of Todlen two hours ago, at first light. The garrison defending the village was caught completely off guard."

"But how the hell did they do it? Gael Pass is still blocked, and none of the strongholds have reported anything! Where the hell did they come from?"

"How many were there?" Victor asked

"I don't know, My Lord. They suddenly fell on us, while I was sleeping. We didn't even hear them coming. They pounced on my companions like wild beasts. They literally mauled them. Just before the village fell the Captain ordered me to come and report, and I fear I am the only survivor."

"It's just as I feared." Lefde said funereally

"What do you mean?"

"Thirty thousand men is too many, even to besiege a well-protected fort like this. That army isn't just here to retake Grote Muren. They want to march against Eirinn."

Such a prospect made Victor and his uncle's blood run cold, putting them face to face with the worst possible scenario; they had undertaken that campaign to reconquer the lands of their ancestors, and now they risked losing their own.

The strongholds that Eirinn's army had built to protect the road to Grote Muren could withstand common assaults from conventional armies, but there was nothing they could do to oppose the cannons.

And to ensure that they could not coordinate defenses or support each other, Daemon had ordered his lieutenants Septimus, Jack and Richard to attack the three fortresses at the same time, in a coordinated assault that left no escape.

In reality none of the three had physically taken part in the battle, because in the meantime Daemon had recommended each of them to find good subordinates to whom they could delegate operations in the field, limiting themselves to coordinating the operations while being among the men without however risking too much.