37: Mother-Daughter Bonding

Harlow

I didn't really have a plan. The beginnings of one kept daring to form, but in my defence, it was hard to focus on putting pieces together when sorcerers were fleeing from the Rift like it was on fire. Actually, it might be on fire...

It was hard to tell from the other side of town, but anyway, it didn't mean anything. I tugged at the edge of Mom's borrowed shirt. Her strategy wasn't working, which meant it was time for a new one.

By the water, the town's older residents dragged wooden planks from the nearby cache, while another carved out the hull of a makeshift boat. Silently, I noted the threads they were using. A woman carrying a large mallet inched it over the wooden pieces. Another twisted their hands together, hands clasped over their ears as two others swathed them. I watched the three of them for a moment. As the first painted his fingers across the air, words fizzled between them. Are you okay? While the other built a metal screen, fitted with springs that jumped out at me when I tried to approach.

Still clasping my vials, I met the gaze of the one controlling the barrier and waved them over to me.

A beat passed, then another. The girl must have been a few years younger than me. The strap of a pack hung over one shoulder, spilling over with metal coils and fragments of rusted street signs. Relics picked up from the area around the Rift, no doubt—like Mom had done for my mirror.

I sucked in a breath. "Come with me," I said to the girl. I sped up, coming over to where Mom was on the bridge.

Her nebula launched through the air with the wobble of air. My hair caught in the burst, burning off at the ends. Still in the same place as always, North and the scout dodged.

I frowned. "Drop Revel's thread. I got this."

Mom smiled slightly. Her hands grazed the girl's shoulder, and with that, the thread was copied. Lifting her hands, Mom trailed the metal over her fingertips. The sheen of silver made an arc over her hands as she moulded it into a half-circle.

The girl let out a gasp at the same time I whirled around. Three of the scout's annoying shadows skulked around us. I flicked my eyes across the bridge, then back to the girl.

"What do I do?" she whispered.

Backing up a few paces, I leaped out of the way of its slashing hands. "Follow my lead."

She glued to my side as I dodged between the spectres, my head bobbing to duck another hit. I wasn't nearly close enough to hit them, nor did I want to attempt it. The girl stayed close, shooting iron springs at the shadows to force them to scatter.

I skirted across the bridge's edge before hopping on the deck. The suspension cables hung over our heads.

"Make another one!" I shouted as the girl climbed on behind me. Seconds later, the iron wall flashed into view, rising above my feet and to my midsection.

The snap of the skeletal figures wavered; a chill crossed my neck. We ran until the suspension cables got smaller and smaller. I called out, "Swing around!"

I grasped on the side of the bridge, breathing deeply. With a launch, I landed on the grass and held out my hand for the girl to take. My heartbeat drummed in my ears as we started off again, and this time I checked behind me. Shadows barricaded the metal, and my mom advanced a fair distance before tossing another curve of silver at the two heroes.