Chapter 3- Man in the Shadows

.
.
.

You open your eyes to the familiar grey ceiling of your room- an unfamiliar twilight shrouding your vision. You lay in your bed, sheets damp and clinging to your cold body.

Something doesn't feel right.

You sit up and remove the sheets, before wandering to the window. You're drawn in by some primal fear which leads your eyes to the black bushes outside. Then you notice it. A person. Looking right back at you.

You physically jump, recoiling away from the man. But he's gone. You adjust your eyes once more, breathing deep as you scan the scene for any trace of the stranger. Gone.

You stand there for a moment before closing the blinds and catching your breath. "Stop making things up.. it's just a shadow." You exhale, making your way to the bathroom.

Staring at the reflection in the mirror, you place a handful of pills in your mouth. After having scanned over the bottles a few times, you realised you'd been prescribed anxiety meds, aswell as sleeping pills in amongst the pill cocktail they'd handed you at the hospital.

With a gulp and a sigh, you give yourself one last glance in the mirror before returning to your room, still unsettled and considering telling Hannibal about the experience. He was your therapist, after all.

_________________________________________

You cracked your eyes open to a familiar ringing.

"Hello?" You croaked, leaning over the side of the bed.

"Y/N? It's me, Alana. I'm sorry I didn't come to visit you at the hospital." She speaks through the phone, her voice muffled by the mic.

You groan and sit up, adjusting your eyes to the bright light seeping through the edges of the blinds. Your stomach drops at the memory of the night before. You had to have imagined it.

"That's okay." You say with a stretch. "I get that you're busy. I had company when I woke up, anyhow."

She hums slightly. "I need you to do me a favour."

You sit still as you speak, listening to her words. "What is it?"

"Can you pass a message along to Will? I think he'd take it better if you were to tell him." She says, her tone twinged with guilt.

"Of course." You think. "What's the message?"

She sighs for a moment before continuing, "Abigail Hobbs died in her sleep last night- the daughter of Garret Jacob Hobbs."

You stare at the floor, the words repeating in your mind as you processed the information. "Oh.. I'll let him know." You speak hesitantly as you walk to the bathroom again.

"Thank you, Y/N. I know I'm asking a lot, so I really appreciate it."

You mentally slap yourself for agreeing. Knowing Will, he would not take well to the information at all.

"Also I was thinking... it's been a while since we spoke face-to-face. Maybe we should meet for coffee soon?" She offers. "I'll pay."

You chuckle at her suggestion, opening your medicine cabinet. "How can I refuse free coffee? Let me know when you're free, we can sort something out."

"Thanks, Y/N. Appreciate it." She says before hanging up.

You place the phone onto the counter top with an exhale before popping your meds. Maybe it would be better to tell Will in person.

You got ready for the day, getting into a comfortable outfit and swinging by the News agents before making your way to Will's house.

You had to text Alana for the address, but forgot to ask for his number so you could prepare him for your now-surprise visit. You could only hope he was awake or even at home at all.