Chapter 5- The Rabbit Hole

.
.
.

You sat laying on his bed, reading a book. You kicked your feet through the air as you relaxed. Something about the past day or so with him made you feel serene.

He cooked for you, listened to you, made you feel safe. You loved it.

You flipped the page over with a smile. Even thinking about him made you happy. But... inevitably you'd have to leave.

You silenced those thoughts as you closed the book in your hand. It had been a while since you'd seen the afore-mentioned.

You walked down the stairs and into his study, the living room and finally the kitchen. He wasn't there.

You stopped in your tracks, hearing the faint whirring noise of a drill. Then it stopped.

You looked around the room, confused. It wasn't coming from upstairs and it wasn't coming from anywhere downstairs either.

You hummed as you walked back into the hallway and heard the drilling noise become louder.

Behind the staircase, you noticed a door you hadn't seen before. The whirring seemed to be louder behind it- it must've been the entrance to the basement.

You tried the door handle but it seemed to be locked on the other side. Giving up, you returned to the main lobby. Obviously whatever he was doing down there, he didn't want to be interrupted. Or, he didn't want you to see.

Either way, you decided it was none of your business. Even if it did make your imagination run wild.

You felt around in your coat pocket for a moment, grabbing your phone and double checking for your keys- where were they?

You felt the material folds of the coat in a panic. You could not, however, feel the metal of your keys. You pick up the coat and shake it, expecting to hear the familiar rattle sound, but nothing.

Had you left them at the Hobb's house?

You wipe your forehead sweat with your palm before sitting on the stairs and scrolling through your phone.

You'd recieved more notifications than usual. You smile, reading the texts you'd received.

Beverly had texted you asking where you were, Jack had texted to double check how long you'd been gone...

You stopped scrolling at an unknown number. 'Where have you been?' It read.

You opened the full chat.

'Hey Y/N, it's Will. Alana gave me your number. She's in the hospital right now. What happened after I left?'

'Hello? Apparently you disappeared after Alana fell, did something happen?'

'You weren't at work today. Are you okay?'

You frown at the text boxes, not particularly wanting to respond. You'd been so swept up with Hannibal, that you'd forgotten the atrocities that happened that night. Maybe it was for the better.

You heard the drilling noise from downstairs stop, followed by a moment of silence.

You wrote a quick message to Will.

'Hi, sorry for not responding. Is Alana home now? I'd like to pay her a visit. Also, I'm fine. Thanks for asking.'

Was it too blunt? Probably.

"Y/N." Hannibal calls out, his voice laced with surprise. He was standing above you, wiping his hands with a black cloth. "Is something the matter?"

"No I'm fine- I just can't find my keys.." you say, expression uneasy.