Target Practice

Hey everyone! Sorry it's taken me so long to post an update. I just started high school, and it's keeping me pretty busy. I hope y'all enjoy the story!🥰

"Damn it, Juliette! I swear if you point that gun at me one more time I'm gonna..."
"I'm sorry!" I quickly replied, laying the weapon down carefully. "I don't know how to hold it!"

Kenji sighed and ran his hand down his face. He has been trying to teach me how to shoot for the past two hours and, so far, I've only managed to hit the target once; when I accidentally pulled the trigger.

"Well I'll give you a hint. You only point the gun at someone you want to kill. Now, I know I've annoyed you sometimes, but I really don't think you want me dead. Your life would be so boring."
I laugh at his remark, glad he's not angry enough at me to stop making jokes.

"Okay but, seriously, your aim sucks, so let's get to work," he says coming up behind me. "You need to get a wide stance and put one hand on the grip and the other underneath."

I do what he says, being careful to point the gun at the target the entire time I'm doing so.

"Yeah, good. Now you need to push in the magazine-"
"Magazine?" I question, very confused. "Like the thing you read?"
Kenji looks genuinely surprised at my remark.
"What?" I say.
"A magazine is the thing that holds the bullets," he says with a shake of his head. "Just follow my directions, and ask questions later before I start to lose my sanity."
I roll my eyes at him and push in the magazine.

"Now pull that thing on the top back and... shoot!"
I do, but the force from the gun reverberates through my arms, making me lose my balance and fall backwards into Kenji, sending the loaded gun flying backwards into a wall.
I hear a light snicker coming from the doorway.

"You're very lucky that gun has the child safety on, or you would both be dead right now," Aaron's voice says from behind us.

I push myself off Kenji and try to stand up as quickly as I can. I hate the fact that my hair is pulled back because now I can't use it to hide my blushing cheeks.

Kenji is still lying on the floor, too defeated to get up.
"Your girlfriend is trying to kill me," he says, not even looking at Aaron.
"It's probably because you are a bad teacher. Juliette's actions are just a reflection of your own, Kishimoto."
Kenji gives him a confused look.
"You know I'm older than you, right?"
Aaron ignores him and walks over to me, carrying the gun.

"Here you go, love," he says, handing me the firearm.
"I don't know if that's such a good idea-"
"Pull your arms slightly into your side," he says, carefully grabbing my forearms and easing them into place.
I feel my stomach explode with a tornado of butterflies. I don't know why I still get such a weird sensation when he touches me, but I never want it to end.

"Perfect. Now, assume your stance, and close one eye so you can focus better on the target."
Somehow, the movements that felt so difficult just a moment ago feel so natural now.

"Okay. Now you just need to aim and... fire," he whispers into my ear.
I take a deep breath and line up the barrel with the bullseye.
I count down in my head.
3
2
1
Shoot!

I hear the bullet whiz through the air right before it punctures the middle of the target; a perfect bullseye!

"See! I knew you could do it," Aaron says, placing his hands on my hips and turning me around. I smile at him as he kisses me on the cheek.

"Seriously?!" Kenji shouts, exasperated. "All I had to do to get you to shoot good was turn my sexy on? I could have done that easily! I was just afraid that it would be too much for you to handle on your first lesson."

I roll my eyes and secretly drop out all the bullets before I point the gun directly at his face.

"Ah OK Jesus! Fine! I'm sorry! I'll leave! Right now," Kenji says while running out of the room.

Aaron laughs as I show him the empty gun and toss it back into its holster. I pull him into my chest by his blazer collar and wrap my arms around his neck.
"This is fun. I feel kind of... well..."
"Badass?"
I smile and plant a kiss onto his lips.
"Totally badass."