Chapter Seven

Tippy's house was a colonial monstrosity with verandas and columns and lots of windows. She had every bit of the outside decorated with tasteful Christmas decorations. The house was completely lit with yellow lights, there were candles on the window sills and wreaths hanging on every window and door.

Miles gave a low whistle. "It must have taken her forever to decorate."

Myrtle snorted. "Tippy didn't lift a finger. She has decorators to handle everything . . . she told me about it last year."

"That must be nice," said Miles as they walked toward the house.

"I sort of have decorators, too. Dusty puts all my gnomes in place, after all."

Miles's expression seemed to say that he much-preferred Tippy's decorations.

Wanda muttered, "Sounds like a lot of people in there."

"Hmm? Oh, yes. It'll be a much-larger group than it usually is. The women would have brought their husbands with them. And I suppose the single women might have brought a date. So, there will be roughly double the number of people there."

Wanda seemed to be squaring her shoulders as if she might be facing an army.

Myrtle noticed. "And Wanda, we'll find a quiet spot for you to hang out. I won't have people swarming you to get their fortunes; I know how much that depletes your energy. My goal is for you to enjoy people-watching, to eat some delicious food, and to just relax."

Wanda looked a bit doubtful.

"I'm carrying a cane and I'm not afraid to use it," said Myrtle, shaking her cane still strung with the cheerful red ribbon.

The inside of Tippy's house was just as tastefully decorated as the outside. There were cheerful garlands, a tremendous live Christmas tree with all-white ornaments and lights, and stockings hung over a raging fire in the huge fireplace. There was also a coy bit of mistletoe hanging subtly in a doorway.

Tippy was wearing a cocktail dress and loads of diamond jewelry as she walked around greeting her guests. Wanda made a muttering sound.

"It's fine. Tippy always overdresses. You and I look delightful," said Myrtle.

"I would agree," said Miles chivalrously.

"Let's greet Tippy and then find the food," said Myrtle.

Tippy spotted them walking toward her and smiled at them. "What a pleasure to see you all here. And Wanda! I'm so glad you could make it."

Tippy made it sound as if she'd always intended Wanda to be there. But then, Tippy was the perfect hostess.

Wanda colored. "Sorry I jest showed up."

Tippy looked appalled that Wanda would even think that. "What? No. You're always invited, Wanda." She frowned. "Perhaps it would be better in future if I mailed an invitation to you."

Wanda shook her head. "Mailbox done fell down. Ain't getting no mail."

"All right then. But promise me that you'll remember there's an implicit invitation for you to come to any of my functions. Always."

Wanda nodded shyly and Tippy looked assured of the point. "Excellent. Now why don't the three of you find something to eat? These folks seem very hesitant to be the first to get a plate."

"We'll solve that problem," said Myrtle, who had no patience with guests who wouldn't eat at parties. "We've come hungry."

"Wonderful!" said Tippy. "I don't need any leftovers, so be sure to take food home with you."