Chapter 2

A/N: Please be sure to leave a comment and let me know what you think so far. Now on with the story...

Jay knocked lightly on his sister's bedroom door. He impatiently waited a whole second before his anxiety took over at what could be waiting on the other side, and he just went in without a response.

When the door opened unexpectedly, Alex immediately turned away and rushed to her bed. Once at the bed, she put her hand down first to guide her to sit ever so gently as she bit her bottom lip to distract herself from the pain. She knew from the footsteps that it had to be her brother, but she didn't need him seeing her in this state. She wouldn't let herself appear weak...appear vulnerable. She had to be stronger than that.

"Alex," Jay called softly as he closed the door behind him, wanting to give them some privacy but also knowing that it wouldn't be an issue because their father was too lazy to follow him.

"Hey," she replied as casually as she could muster without turning around.

Jay took a few steps toward her and something clinked as he almost tripped over it on the floor. In the split second that it happened, he didn't miss how his sister's shoulders immediately tensed up before she forced them to relax. Looking down, he felt his rage hit a new level when he saw his father's belt discarded on the floor. Between that and Pat's comment earlier, he didn't have to be an actual detective to put this mystery together. Without realizing it, his hands started to form fists as his internal rage toward their father hit a new level that he hadn't known was possible. He knew the man hadn't ever been the best father, and Jay had never let himself think about what could happen after their mother wasn't there to be a buffer anymore. He had been too focused on his grief and getting the hell out of that house, throwing himself into his career. He had been too focused on running from his emotions. But now there were some clear facts that he couldn't ignore about the aftermath of their mother's death.

Had it been any other case or any other family, he would have taken some time to think through his next words. But when it came to his own family, sometimes his logical side disappeared and he was solely reactive. That was something that had been ingrained in him since his time in the Rangers – family came first and you always protected them. No matter what.

"What did he do?" Jay whispered through clenched teeth.

"Just let it go, Jay," his sister all but pleaded as she stared out her window as night started to fall over Chicago and the streetlights began to flicker on.

"What did he do?" he repeated, this time standing just inches from her.

Deep down, she knew that she'd have to face her brother, that there was no way out of this one, but that didn't mean she would do it willingly. She had known that he'd pry for more information, but as long as it stayed laser focused on what her father had done, then she had nothing to worry about.

Jay could feel the rage coursing through his veins and he was wholeheartedly impatient. He took another step and reached his hand over to her chin to gently turn her face away from the window and toward him. With her default defiance, she fought it at first, but when he showed no signs of removing his hand, she gave in and turned to face him; however, her eyes refused to meet his.

He took in her appearance, inch by inch. Bloodshot eyes, puffy eyelids from crying, a very visible palm mark still plastered on her cheek. And he was certain that there were marks elsewhere that he couldn't readily see. Alex refused to raise her gaze to meet his—she wasn't ready to see whatever look he was going to give her. Pity? Guilt? Anger? She didn't want to know. Her eyes focused on the Chicago PD badge still clipped to the waist of his jeans, and it sent a haunting reminder down her spine.