Chapter 3

Jayden

I'm still reeling from chemistry this morning. It makes so much sense. I've never been able to understand Miles's and Aurora's relationship, and believe me, I've tried. I've given myself migraines thinking about it.

I meet up with Luke at my locker. He shares with me because mine is closer to his classes. I'm so out of it that I don't realize he's talking to me until he's waving a hand in front of my face. "Dude. What's up with you? You were totally zoned out."

I swap out my Chemistry book for my AP History. I don't bother answering Luke's question. "You know Miles James?"

Luke's eyes narrow as he thinks. "Really tall, blond hair, on the swim team? Super hot?"

"Yeah, that's him."

"What about him?"

"I'm pretty sure he's gay."

Luke perks up. I knew that would get his attention. "What makes you say that?" The hope in his voice makes me sad. He needs more support in his life. If I'm right about Miles, and I'm pretty sure I am, this could be really good news for Luke. They'd be great for each other.

"I just got a vibe," I say.

Luke scoffs. "That's nice and vague."

I shrug and zip up my backpack. "I think he might have a crush on me. He reminds me a lot of how you used to be before you told me. Nervous. Blushing. Our hands touched today, and he got so flustered. Then he accidentally complimented me and totally freaked out."

Luke grabs his math book and shuts the locker. He stands there a moment, thinking very hard. He doesn't say anything as he stuffs his book in his backpack and slings it over his shoulder. We get halfway to class before he breaks the silence. "No way," he says, shaking his head. "I'm not that lucky."

I know what he's doing. He's talking himself out of believing it. Trying not to get his hopes up. There aren't very many gay people in our school, at least not openly gay people. It's not easy being gay in a Christian school full of super conservative religious kids. Luke hasn't outed himself except to me and his family. I keep telling him he should just do it, that his friends would all support him, and that he'd be happier being able to be himself. So far, he hasn't found his courage. Maybe if he had a partner, though.

"I'm pretty sure I'm right about this."

"He's really quiet. He's probably just shy. And doesn't he have a girlfriend?"

This, at least, I can reassure him about. "They're just friends. He literally told me today that he loves her, just not like that. What guy is best friends with a girl for years and doesn't want her like that?"

Especially not a girl like Aurora. How could anyone not love her like that? The guy is either gay or he's crazy.

Luke grips the straps of his backpack. "Maybe," he relents.

"We'll do some recon, feel him out, okay? If you don't get the same vibe, then we won't say anything."

We part ways, and I head to my favorite class of the day. Yes, I'm a history nerd, but also, Aurora sits a couple seats over and in front of me. It makes it easy for me to watch her without getting caught.

Aurora. Ro. It's kind of perfect for her. Unique and fun, and somehow sweet.

It's funny how Miles was asking me about girls when I've been in love with his since sophomore year. Except she's not his. He said so himself. I still can't believe it. When Miles and I got paired in Chemistry, I was excited. I had a reason to get to know him, and I'd hoped that would lead to getting to know Aurora. Of course, I thought she was his, and I would never scam another guy's girlfriend, but I just wanted to know her a little. Maybe be friends.