Chapter 4

Luke

Jayden was right. Miles has got to be gay. There were definite vibes. I can't believe it. One of the hottest guys in the whole school is gay. Of course, he's totally in love with my best friend. So that's a problem.

I'm getting ahead of myself anyway. Just because he's gay and totally hot doesn't mean we'd automatically be a good fit for each other. Yeah, it's slim pickings at this school for me, but I'm not desperate. It would be nice to date someone, but I've already resigned myself to waiting until college to find love.

Miles is hot, though, and an athlete like me. And Jayden says he's cool. It's worth a try. But how do I approach it? He's clearly not out and neither am I, really. And there's always the chance that we're wrong. I can't just ask him out. Friends first is probably best.

We reach our lunch table and Miles has yet to say a word. He's trying his best to act casual, but his shoulders are stiff, and he's gripping his backpack straps with white knuckles.

"Hey guys." Jayden shoves our friend Alex over to make room at the table for the three of us. "This is Miles."

Short and sweet. Probably the best tactic if we don't want anyone asking questions about why he's joining us. He gets a few heys and what's ups, and several of the girls smile with interest. Like I said, Miles is hot. Jayden and I sit down making room for Miles in between us. He seems to relax once we're settled and no one questions his presence.

Our friends are pretty cool. Mostly. Jayden is constantly saying I should tell them about myself, but I just don't feel it's any of their business.

"So, Miles..." Kimmy Ward is sitting at the table opposite Miles and being her cheerful outgoing self. She is captain of the cheer squad after all. "What's your story?"

He lifts one shoulder. "Swim team mostly. Aside from that, first person shooters, carbs, and I play around with the guitar."

I smirk at the carbs thing because I can totally relate, and I imagine him playing the guitar. I could see him strumming away around a campfire.

"Electric or acoustic?" Kimmy asks.

She's gained the attention of the whole group now. I expect Miles to clam up, but he answers with ease and casualness. "Acoustic."

I like that. It's so much more laid-back than electric.

"Do you sing when you play?" Angelica, another cheerleader asks. She's got stars in her eyes. I can't blame her. I probably do too.

Miles shakes his head. "A little, but not in front of people."

I have to get to know him better so I can make him play and sing for me sometime.

"What's up with swimming?" Brent Sims asks. He's on our offensive line. "You're huge. You could totally play football."

"Yeah, probably better than our defense," one of our offensive tackles mutters.

Brent rolls his eyes. "Anyone could play better than our defense."

Almost everyone laughs. Well, except the guys on defense. Miles laughs too, relaxing even more. It's nice to see him settle down. It must just be Jayden who makes him nervous.

"I'm not really into the contact sports," Miles says. "I love to watch them, but actually taking the hits doesn't seem like it would be fun."

"But making the hits is the best," Brent says.

The rest of lunch goes by much the same. Someone asking Miles the occasional question and then the group getting distracted by his answers. Miles isn't as shy as I expected. He's introverted maybe, but he handles our friends well enough. I don't really get the chance to feel him out with everyone around, but I'm interested. I need to get him one on one.