Chapter 24

First, it was black, then dark blue that slowly transitioned into purple, and then a soft pink. After the pink, it became orange and yellow until it was stark sky blue again. Then the cycle started in reverse and then back, then in reverse and then back.

Dawn saw the sun rising high in the sky and setting down below the horizon as she lay down on her bed all day. She barely moved or slept or ate or drank.

After she woke up from her fainting episode she went comatose, refusing to do anything else but lay there on her bed. The trial was buried deep into her memories. She tried to forget, just like all of those nine years because if it didn't happen she wouldn't feel the fury of the injustice that was done to her.

Everybody tried to pull her out of it. Nobody succeeded. Even Aiden had no clue how to help his mate. He felt helpless, desperate even. He wanted nothing more than for Dawn to be able to live her life, to let go of her past. But this, this stunt the council pulled was impossible to pass by. He was angry too. The council denied Dawn the chance to close the horrible chapter of her time at the lab for the mere reason that there wasn't direct evidence.

But his anger was nothing compared to that of Dawn. He had felt that anger and it was painful. Because they had been so close the last weeks the mate bond started to grow stronger, he doubted Dawn noticed, but it was possible for him to feel his mate's emotions and the moment the council gave their verdict it was almost painful the anger, sadness, frustration, and rage of Dawn. He tried to block her feelings and emotions as if it was a whirlwind. He couldn't even imagine how his mate must have felt like.

Every day he checked up on his mate. He would sit next to her on the bed and hold her hand carefully. He would say sweet nothings to her or tried to suggest she come down for a meal or a walk. Nothing helped, unfortunately. All of his words fell on deaf ears.

Until, Sarah.

Sarah barged into Dawn's room on day six and told her to get up. "If you stay here on this bed you admit defeat. You admit defeat to that horrible and vile doctor who tortured you, Dawn."

Nothing.

"I am not leaving this room without you." Sarah walked up to her and faced her. "Do you hear me? You are going to shower, eat, and then we go on a walk. On y va!"

Dawn didn't react again. Sarah stepped up.

She carefully pulled Dawn up in a sitting position. Once up she held her face. "Dawn, I do this because I care for you," She whispered carefully, her voice almost breaking. "It's not fair indeed. What's done to you is wrong on so many levels. But you can't let them win like this." Sarah planted a kiss on her forehead. "Let's get you into the shower."

And then a low whisper, a breeze caring a few words, "No shower."

Sarah couldn't help but smile, she didn't expect to get Dawn to talk. "It will be alright. I won't leave you alone, I promise." With the help of Sarah Dawn managed to get a quick shower. The poor girl was exhausted when they were done.

"I am so proud of you, Dawn," Sarah told her with a smile when she brushed Dawn's hair. "You are so brave."

Everybody was surprised when they saw Dawn downstairs in the kitchen slowly chewing on a piece of apple. Carefully they moved around her, not trying to disturb the progress that Sarah made.

When she was done with her first meal in six days Boaz came up to her. "Hey there my little monkey," He sat down next to her and brushed his fingers through her hair. He wanted to hold his daughter badly but wanted to give Dawn space as well, knowing she wouldn't appreciate close contact now. "I have a surprise for you." Dawn turned her head and looked at her father confused. "But you have to follow me, I promise it will be good."