₀₁ THE STRAW HAT BOY

CHAPTER ONE
THE STRAW HAT BOY

CHAPTER ONETHE STRAW HAT BOY

SHELLS TOWN, PRESENT DAY

"Good morning Miss Adriana", A tall older woman in a black and white outfit opened the curtains, causing the brunette lying in bed to lift her eye mask and squint at the amount of light coming in.

"Good morning Margaret, how many times have I told you to just call me Adriana, you've known me since before I could walk." The younger women replied, sitting up and putting on her slippers before making her way to the bathroom.

"That I have, and what an amazing young woman you're growing up to be miss Adriana."

The brunette just rolled her eyes, the edges of her lips quirking up as she closed the door.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

By the time Adriana finally got out of the shower and dressed, she walked downstairs to find Margaret beginning to cook breakfast with a couple other members of the staff.

"Oh Margaret I could've made myself breakfast." The woman stated with a frown as she watched her work.

"No. I'm not sure you could've." Margaret began, referencing a cooking incident that happened not too long ago with the girl. "But I don't mind, it's my job."

The brunette huffed as she watched her maid begin whisking some eggs. Margaret had been one of the first housekeepers her father had hired years ago when he first began to get too busy for his daughter. She had watched her grow up into a bright young woman, each year wanting to become more independent than the last, last year had been the year she decided that she wanted to be able to make her own meals. The idea quickly turned into a disaster when she realized just how little she knew about cooking, accidentally mixing up the sugar with salt, turning the heat up too much, and overestimating how much baking powder she needed turned out to make some very charred and powdery pancakes.

"But you already do so much for me, at least let me go buy the ingredients." Adriana didn't wait for a reply as she grabbed the small list that was hung on the refrigerator.

"Even if I said no it wouldn't stop you, would it?" The older woman laughed as she watched her.

"No it would not, but I'll be back soon!"

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Shells town had not changed much over the past years, many of the markets that were set up around the town square still consisted of the same owners that Adriana had gotten to know and love. Even though the town mostly consisted of locals it wasn't unusual to see unfamiliar faces from time to time, most times they were pirates or bounty hunters coming to the marine base to collect their berry in exchange for whoever's head it was they had in their burlap sack.
Which is why the brunette didn't find it that odd to see a couple new faces as she walked to the market, but these ones seemed different, not like the usually ruthless money hungry faces that would shove past people on their way to the marine base. Instead these two new faces consisted of a tan boy wearing a straw hat, staring intently at the wanted posters taped up on a wall near the town square, and a strawberry blond who stood timidly next to him also eyeing the signs.

"Yeah I know right?..Where's my face?" She heard the straw hat question from where she was standing.

Adriana felt herself begin to smile, she didn't mean to judge, she knew looks could be deceiving but this boy definitely didn't look like the usual pirate people were used to, and definitely not the kind that would have a bounty put out on him.
Deciding it was rude to eavesdrop any longer she made her way to one of the restaurants nearby where she had befriended the owner, on Margaret's list she needed quite a few ingredients and she knew that the restaurant owner had the best stuff in town.

When she got to the tavern she probably shouldn't have been surprised to see even more new faces, the owner; Cassidy, was always looking for more help. But couldn't she have at least put a more welcoming face at the front desk?

"What can I do for you pretty lady?" The man behind the table questioned, multiple of his teeth replaced with wood and his breath stinking of beer.

The brunette cringed and scrunched her nose, she knew Cassidy definitely didn't condone drinking on the job, meaning who knows what other rules this guy doesn't follow.

"I'm here to buy some flour and meat, maybe a quarter pound of each please." Adriana explained reaching into her bag for some coins. The prices were a little higher since she was buying from a restaurant but she didn't mind since it was the best stuff on the market.

The man behind the counter just rolled his eyes before heading to the back to get the supplies while she grabbed her money. Once he came back he eyed her bag and thought for a moment as he watched her place the coins on the table.

Just as she went to grab the ingredients the man took a hold of them sliding them back towards him before smirking.

"That'll be 700 berry."

"Excuse me? Cassidy always does 500." Adriana argued, crossing her arms over her chest.

"What's the matter, i'm sure you can afford it." The man looked her attire up and down, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah I could also afford to go to another store where they honor a fair price."

"I'll tell you what." The older man's crooked smile returned. "How about I sell it to you for 425 and you can pay the rest a different way."

The brunette scoffed, her slightly heeled boots making a creak on the wooden floorboards as she stood up straighter.

"How about I tell you to fuck off and then get you fired?" She threatened, ultimately disgusted by the man's behavior, shocked that he was ever even hired in the first place. If Cassidy needed help that badly she gladly would've helped out at the tavern if it meant the male in front of her wasn't working there.

"Are we going to have a problem little lady?" The mans beer breath became stronger as he raised his voice, walking out from behind the counter and cracking his knuckles.

The man went to reach for her, his other hand held into a fist when suddenly his arm was grabbed by the brunette he was reaching for. With one arm disarmed he went to use his other fist to attack but instead he was quickly crumbling to the ground by a kick sent directly into his groin.
Alerted by the his co-workers groan, another man ran up to defend him, attempting to grab the woman from behind but was instead met with an elbow straight to his nose. He leaned his head back to hold his now bruised nose as he went to run at the brunette again however due to his large hand covering his face she easily stepped aside and grabbed the back of his head to slam it on the table.

Now with both embarrassed guys groaning and slumping down to the floor, Adriana stepped over them, grabbing the supplies off the counter and going to step back but instead sighing and reaching into her bag.

"Not that you deserve it, but I'm no thief." She stated, dropping some coins on the surface and beginning to walk off again, but as she looked around the tavern she made eye contact with the same straw hat boy from before, who was now staring wide eyed and smiling at the scene in front of him.

The brunette just smiled back and finally walked off oblivious to the words the boy was whispering to the strawberry blonde next to him.

"Good fighter." He complimented, before digging back into his food.

╭┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈╮

YAYAYY i finally finished the first chapter, y'all's support has been so amazing thank you for the comments and excitement omg :) I have so many things planned for his story