10. Hideaway

Before Alec and I parted ways after spending hours at the diner together we promised each other that we would meet again - soon.
We set a date, time, and place, and we swore we would keep the secret between us. We just wanted time to spend together again; No drama was desired.

A week later, I explained to my family that I was taking off for the weekend to go to Seattle for a few days; I'd been holed up in the house for too long and my creativity was suffering because of it. They believe me, asking no questions as I hastily packed a light duffle bag and pulled my Patagonia fleece-lined winter coat on. It wasn't a complete lie; Fresh air would do me some good. I just had a lot more to gain from the trip than they knew.

Before I left, Carlisle and Esme caught me in the foyer by the front door and insisted on saying goodbye.

"I'll only be gone for a few days," I reminded them as Esme pulled me into a tight hug.

"We know, but we'll miss you every second you're gone," she cooed, kissing me on the cheek.

"Goodbye, Indy," Carlisle said, hugging me next. "Good luck on your work. I'm looking forward to reading your novel once it's done."

"Thank you," I replied bashfully. "It won't be for awhile, but I'm hoping to make some good progress this weekend."

"Take care of yourself," Esme reminded me, as usual. Although I was more durable than an average human, Esme still got nervous when I wandered off on my own.

"I'll be back before you know it," I promised her. "I'll be fine."

"Have fun," Carlisle encouraged me as I shuffled out the door.

"I will," I waved. "I'll see you soon!"

Thankfully, Carlisle closed the door before Esme could launch into another fit of concern.

I pulled my hood over my head before stepping off the porch and making my way to the garage at the side of the house. Snow fell in flurries as my footsteps crunched across the thick blanket of snow. Once I'd made it through the snow into the garage, I quickly opened the driver's side door and tossed my duffle bag in, over the center console and into the passenger's seat. I climbed in, yanking my hood off as I did, and pulled the door shut in order to start the long drive to Alec and my secret meeting spot.

The four hours I spent on the road was worth it when I pulled through the edge of a clearing, deep in the forests east of Seattle, to find Alec waiting for me. The clearing was decently sized, and at the other edge of it was a small log cabin, where Alec stood on the porch waiting for me to arrive.

I didn't bother with my bag; I flew out of the car and ran across the clearing to my mate, throwing myself into his open arms.
Alec murmured my name into my hair and kissed the top of my head. My cheeks burned as a wave of relief washed over me; We were together again. It was all that mattered.

"How was the drive?" he asked me.

"Brutal," I replied, stepping back to see his face.

"You could've left your car elsewhere and finished the trek on foot."

He was right, it would've been much faster. "I couldn't risk someone in my coven tracking me and accidentally stumbling across my car left alone in some random parking lot." Unfortunately, it wasn't above some of them to do that. I knew they were protective because they cared, but it made my affair much more difficult.

"True," Alec said somewhat tartly. "The Cullens sure are a clingy bunch, aren't they?"

"Just with the daywalkers," I said. Renesmee had Edward and Bella, I had Carlisle and Esme, but really it was Rosalie that was up both of our butts.

"Daywalkers. I like that," he chuckled. "Why don't you go inside and get warmed up. I'll go get your bags."

"Yes," I accepted enthusiastically. Anything to stop talking about family. I was looking forward to this trip all week and I didn't want to waste it being bogged down by the drama. I just wanted a little time to slow down and enjoy my mate. "It's just the one bag in the passenger's seat."

Alec planted a kiss on my lips before darting out into the snow toward my car. I clambered into the cabin as Alec braved the cold - not that it would bother him. Not only did he not have anybody heat, he didn't have red blood cells in his veins so he didn't have so much as a flush to his cheeks. He was as cold as a corpse and bled white - a foul, murky hue - though his skin was much stronger than a humans, and mine, so thankfully it took quite a bit of force to make a vampire bleed.

I shook off my coat and pulled off my boots, setting them by the door, and I took a look around my abode for the weekend.

The cabin was modest but sufficient; It comprised only three rooms, the main room - a general living space including a kitchenette in the back right corner - a bedroom that led directly back to the small bathroom.

Just the essentials.

To the left of the main space was a fireplace, which was already in use, and a plush loveseat facing it, with a few throws over the back of it. I walked over and wrapped it tightly around my shoulders, before curling up on the couch.

Alec was back within a very brief moment; his vampiric speed allowed him to gather my bag, close the door behind him, and drop off my bag in the bedroom before a full minute had passed. After everything was in the right place, he took the other blanket off the back of the couch wrapped it around me before taking a seat on the couch himself.

"Thank you for meeting me here," I said bashfully.

"What are you thanking me for?" he chuckled. "This was my idea."

"I know...I just...I appreciate you being here, is all." I had a hard time maintaining eye contact with him; His deep crimson eyes had a way of turning me into a jibbering mess.

"Thank you," Alec said, cupping the side of my face with his hand and tipping it up to look at me. "You didn't have to accept me."

"No, buh- but," I was losing my sense quickly. "But, I want you, you know? You're my mate. I can't turn my back on you; Not for anyone."

"You know I could never do such a thing to you, either," he said. "You're everything to me, Indigo."

"I love you," I murmured shyly. I wondered if I'd ever get used to being so close to him.

"I assure you, I love you more," he replied with a playful smile.

Before I could protest, Alec pulled me into a kiss.

And then again. And some more.

"You know, we really ought to do this more often," Alec said after a good fifteen minutes, leaning back slightly to look at me.

"I couldn't agree more," I replied with a bashful smile, my heart hammering in my chest.

Alec, completely oblivious to the depth of his affect on me, gave me a heart-melting smile before pulling me close again, into another bout of kisses.