11. The Lake

I woke up the next morning to the smell of frying bacon and warm maple syrup. The bed was so warm and cozy that I didn't want to get up, but the prospect of seeing Alec's face again pulled me from my cocoon. I only had a weekend with my mate and I wanted to spend as much time with him as possible.

"Good morning, love," he said, glancing over his shoulder away from the pan to look at me as I entered the room. He was making pancakes and bacon in the kitchenette, which I hadn't expected.

"Good morning," I said sheepishly, realizing how messy I looked in my pajamas. The least I could've done was finger combed my hair in the mirror before I left the bedroom.

Alec looked immaculate, of course. He quite literally couldn't sleep, so he always appeared well rested and immaculate. I, on the other hand, needed eight hours of sleep each night and three square meals a day to be properly functional. I'd been able to fill Alec in on the basics of my physiological needs as a human/vampire hybrid, and I could only assume him making me breakfast was his way of showing me that he understood.

I sat at the small table nestled close to the kitchenette, picking the one of two seats that faced the kitchen. Alec finished cooking shortly, plated up the food, and joined me at the table.

"Thank you," I said as he set the plate in front of me. "You didn't need to do all of this."

"I know, but I wanted to," he replied with a smile.

"I'm surprised you know how to cook," I admitted before taking a bite. "It's pretty good, too."

"I read a lot," Alec explained. "I'll read almost anything."

"Including cook books?"

"Depending on how dire my need for entertainment is."

"Huh," I said before continuing to eat. "So, what did you want to do today?" I'd been so keyed up about getting to the cabin that I hadn't considered what we would do once we got here.

"There's a lake a little farther out," Alec said. "If you can brave the cold, it's very beautiful."

"I could do a hike." I was thankful that he already and a plan worked out so we didn't have to spend the morning hemming and hawing over what to do.

Alec cleaned up the kitchen after I'd finished eating; I returned to the bedroom to shower and get ready for the day.

I only brought the basics when I packed my bag so I dressed in insulated black leggings, a gray chunky knit dress, and thick wool socks. I pulled my hair into a high ponytail and double checked my appearance in the floor length mirror on the back of the bathroom door. I felt cute; Pulled together but not too dressy, and my face was alive with anticipation and excitement.

"Are you ready?" Alec asked as I reemerged from the bedroom.

"Yeah, let me just get my coat." I eagerly pulled on my boots by the door and shrugged on my coat.

Alec pulled on a backpack, which was properly full, and led the way out onto the porch and he offered his hand to assist me walking down the icy steps.

"You know, I'm not completely helpless, right?" I laughed. I accepted his hand because I could already tell that my human attributes made Alec worry too much. If being a little over cautious helped him then I didn't mind.

"I'm still going to be concerned," he said. "If I can help you, I will."

"Well, thank you," I said, stepping soundly onto the snow. "You really are too kind."

"Never," he said, kissing me.

"I love you," I blushed.

"I love you, too," he smiled in return. "Come along, angel. I'll lead the way."