13. Clemency

Snow fell gently from above and settled on the hood of my car as I sat behind the steering wheel and stared out the Cullen coven home. Alec sat beside me in the passenger seat; He didn't appear particularly interested in what was to come.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Alec asked me.

"Yeah, I just need a moment to mentally prepare."

"We had the whole drive to prepare. Let's get it over with."

Alec and I climbed out of the car and walked side by side across the lawn to the porch. I let us in, the front door being unlocked, and we stepped into the foyer just inside.

Rosalie and Emmett were sitting on the couch in the living room watching TV; their curious expressions morphed into anger quickly when they laid eyes on us.

"Get out," Rosalie growled at Alec.

"Is that how your coven treats their guests," Alec asked me, being snarky right off the bat.

"Get out!" Rosalie screeched.

Alec and I made a move back toward the door.

"Not you," she barked at me as Emmett stared at Alec with his eyebrows furrowed.

Carlisle and Esme appeared at the top of the stairs to see what the commotion was about. Alice and Jasper hovered behind them, and Edward, Bella, and Renesmee entered the house through the kitchen. Bella and Renesmee hung back as Edward strode closer.

"What do you think you're doing here?" Edward demanded.

"Indy invited me," Alec replied simply.

"Do not call her that," Rosalie threatened.

Alec had amusement in his eyes as he looked between Edward and Rosalie.

Carlisle and Esme came down the stairs; Alice and Jasper descended halfway before pausing to watch the unfolding scene from afar.

"Alec. What a surprise," Carlisle said, wearing a cordial mask. "I can only assume you came for Indigo."

"I assure you, I wouldn't be here for any other reason," Alec said haughtily.

I was annoyed with how he was behaving himself; He wasn't helping the situation at all.

"We spent the weekend together," I explained. "We just wanted to see how things could work between us."

"I'm sure things worked very well," Emmett snorted.

Rosalie glared at him, looking even more pissed.

"I meant family!" I blushed. "We came back to talk to you guys."

"What is there to talk about?" Edward asked coldly.

"Edward," Esme said, warning him with her tone.

"No, Esme," Edward shot back. "We told her not to do this and now she brings him here? We already discussed this."

"Don't speak to your mother like that" Carlisle said to Edward. "There's no reason for us to be disrespectful."

"He and his coven tried to kill Renesmee!" Rosalie exclaimed. "There are plenty of reasons to be disrespectful!"

"We were just doing our job," Alec said. "You're all lucky Carlisle is such a good friend of my father's. In my opinion, you got off easy. As soon as you started keeping a human around my father should've snuffed that out. You Cullens have been nothing but trouble."

I give Alec an incredulous look. He was sabotaging us. There was no way around it.

Edward growled and Bella clutched Renesmee closer to her side.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't antagonize my family while you're here," Carlisle told Alec, keeping his voice calm.

"I'm just stating the facts," he replied coolly.

"Alec!" I huffed at him; Then I turned to everyone else. "Look. Alec is my mate! I can't help it and neither can he. I know you don't like his coven but —"

"Or him," Emmett bitterly added.

My eyes teared up as I looked at him, deeply hurt.

"I wouldn't do this to you" I said, giving up on my original thought.

"We already discussed this, Indigo" Carlisle said. "Alec can't stay here."

"So you want me to leave?" I asked, tearing up more.

"No, of course not!" Esme gushed.

"You've made your choice," Edward said icily. "You'll see soon enough. He will do you no good. If you have to go learn the hard way, then so be it."

"Edward, thats enough" Carlisle cut in.

Edward quieted down, looking pleased that he was able to get his two cents in.

"Indigo, we have to stand by what we initially decided." Carlisle said. "You are more than welcome to stay, but your mate cannot."

"You can't change your minds?" I asked, desperation seeping in. Tears rolled down my cheeks.

Carlisle looked at me with extreme sadness. "No, that doesn't seem to be the case."

I pressed my lips together, completely torn up by the conclusion of the conversation. I darted up the stairs and to my room to pack as many of my things as I could; The faster I got Alec out of that house, the better.

I pulled a big suitcases from under my bed and flipped it open before racing around my room and tossing things in. Clothes, notebooks, my backpack, laptop, more clothes. When I couldn't fit anymore into it, I zipped up the suitcase, pulled my old trunk from under the bed, and made my way back down the stairs. All of it took me less than two minutes.

Alec took the old trunk from me and helped me carry my things to the car. Tears streamed down my face as I dejectedly walked away from the place I'd called home for so many years.

"Don't cry, Indy." Alec said after we'd fit my luggage in the trunk of my car. "They aren't worth your tears."

Growls rumbled through the woods surrounding us; The sound of five werewolves on guard was a warning to us to get moving.

"We need to go," I said tightly before getting into the driver's seat.

As soon as Alec closed the passenger door after taking a seat, we were down the driveway and through the woods as fast as possible.