CHAPTER FOUR

SUNDAY DINNER

Everything was set.

The dining table was filled with every Thanksgiving food you could think of with fruit and vegetable-filled platters that scattered the corners of the larger mahogany table.

Are dessert was in the kitchen waiting on the counter to be served later, I baked the pies and cakes and everything came out perfect.

Better than what my sister was trying to do...

My mother and sister cooked the main course for dinner, I wasn't a fan of cleaning the turkey, it wasn't for me.

So my sister had to do it. Which I had no issue with and she didn't either.

The only thing we needed now was for everyone else to arrive which should be any minute now. I finished putting the last touches on the table decorations.

"Message Kendall," Shea said walking past me with a bouquet of colorful flowers and a pretty cranberry-colored vase.

"The James's should be here soon. I'm not gonna bug her, plus she's probably driving."

"Okay, well in a couple of minutes, if they are not here message her, they might need some help with Mr. James." My eyes followed my sister as she placed the vase out by the front doorway and fixed the doormat beneath the threshold.

I hummed in response and turned back to check my appearance in the dining room mirror, My black strapless dress seemed a little extra fancy, but it was a gorgeous dress and fit the special occasion.

The tight gold chain I hung around my neckline matched perfectly with my black and gold heels. Along, with my rings that were passed down from my grandmother, and mother.

I wanted to look my best for this dinner, it might be Mr. James' last one with all of us together, I wanted it to be perfect and to get good pictures for his kids when he does go.

Victor made it clear that his father was exceedingly sick and wouldn't make it much longer, so this Sunday dinner had to be perfect!

I had made sure to ask everyone to dress nice and for the most part, my family got the memo and I'm sure everyone else did as well.

I hoped this would help lift some of the pressure hanging above everyone.

Sunday dinners were religious to us back when I was younger, it would bring everyone together. I'm hoping this will act as glue to our relationship and brighten the spirits of everybody.

We all needed it ...

"They are here," My brother called from upstairs. He skipped steps down to the first floor and got to the door before anyone could knock.

My mother came rushing out, "Jordan go out and help Mr. James." She shooed him through the open space.

Her knee-length dress flowed around her as she moved alongside my siblings. I looked around one last time before heading out to the front porch.

Jordan and my nephew had an oxygen tank lifted off the ground and were headed to the steps with it. I shifted to the side letting them in the house before stepping off into the grass to help with whatever I could.