CHAPTER SIX

BREAK-APART.

Shea called me over ten times after I was gone for so long with Victor, knowing her she was trying to be nosy.  My sister probably had the cloudiest thoughts about what we were doing but it didn't matter to me.

My priority was my best friend, not my sister's dirty intellect.  

My eyes drifted to Kendall's sleeping figure wrapped in a quilt on the couch.  She was snoring softly snuggled up. 

I've been trying so hard to not cry all night but it was so hard ... how had Victor dealt with this or felt?  Did this hurt him too.  Of course it hurt him.  This was his little sister for gods sakes. 

I couldn't image how much he's had to deal with! I mean who knows how long this has been happening?  Maybe it's been happening longer than I was made aware. 

He hadn't come out of his room since we got Kendall situated on the couch and I was worried... and after his outburst with me yesterday I was even more worried. 

Maybe I should check on him?

I got up from my chair and knocked on Victor's door with my heart in my throat,  after a few minutes of not hearing anything I knocked once more but this time I heard a grumble and a few curse words.

I should probably leave him alone but... if he's dealing with all this for god knows how long and on top of that dealing with his father being sick and running his company,  who made sure he was okay?  

I mean I disliked Victor to a certain extent but I didn't hate him to where I wanted him to suffer, I knocked again and finally got an answer. 

"Come in."  His voice was low and seemed tired. 

I slowly opened the door to find him sitting at the edge of his bed in complete darkness,  the silence that lingered on the walls let me know how he was feeling... sad.

Closing the door behind me I stepped closer to his figure seated on the plush mattress. Hesitating, I outstretched my hand to touch his shoulder.

"Are..."  I began to say. "Are you okay." 

Several minutes passed before Victor made any attempt to speak to me.  However, when he did I wished he would of just kept his mouth closed.

"Why do you care."  He said sharply, I flinched back at his outburst took my hand away from his shoulder, and stepped back from him.

"I..."  I got stuck trying to speak.

"You what."  He snapped making me flinch.

"I-I just thought I should check on you...."  If the light had been on or the moon was just a little bit brighter, then the blush on my cheeks would be visible.

Victor had gotten up from his seat and stepped to me.   "I'm fine,  Leave." 

That didn't sound too convincing.  I signed at his cold words.

"That doesn't sound too convincing."   My breath was more audible.  "Your not okay,  and it's fine to not be okay especially what you've been going through with your family.  It's understandable."