Chapter Seven

I tensed as Seth’s snazzy Porsche Cayenne approached the end of the Makawee Bridge that connected Ballard to its back door. The row of MoneyMarts and adult movie rental places were clear signs of the type of neighborhood we were approaching and I instinctively reached for the automatic door lock button.

Seth turned to me at the sound of the click and raised a brow in amusement. “Paranoid much?”

I rolled my eyes and hugged my backpack closer. “The last thing I want is to be ordered to get off the car at gunpoint while stopped at a red light. Your car is eye candy enough to attract that kind of unwanted attention.”

He nodded. “Point taken. Where do I turn?”

I craned my neck forward and spotted Pin Yang, the semi-questionable Chinese restaurant that marked the intersection going to Dock Garren’s outskirts up in the north. “Take a right and drive straight through until you see the Landerdale High School. Our house is at the end of that block.”

“Gotcha,” Seth answered heartily, not appearing to be daunted at all. “Your streets are pretty busy here.”

I didn’t know if he’s trying to be nice but he could’ve just simply stated the obvious—there were some sketchy types who hung out inside their blinged-out scrap cars and on vending stalls on the street, smoking and giving anybody unfamiliar a death stare as they drove past. We also had a lot of people walking along the sidewalks, mostly talking in other languages, hauling groceries or bargains from Goodwill while juggling their own umbrellas. Most families here were of immigrant origins and not everyone had cars. 

“You don’t have to drop me off at my house, you know?” I told him. “You can let me off at the next block and I’ll walk the rest of the way. It’s not that far at all.”

He shook his head. “Oh, don’t be silly. I’m already here, aren’t I? Besides, your attempt to intimidate me isn’t working and it will never work.”

I shrugged. “Just giving you your last chance.”

“Okay, we’re in your block already,” he announced, trying to smoothly squeeze his car through other vehicles parked out on the road. This wasn’t really a neighborhood of front-attached garages or even garages in general. “Do I park by that cute, yellow house over there?”

I nodded and went to pick up my dripping umbrella from the rubber mat-covered floor. “The party’s inside. Mama had originally wanted it out on the back porch but today’s weather has just been really crummy.”

He smiled and looked around and I briefly hesitated.

“Do you… Since you’re already here…” I started, trying to sound as casual as I could. “Do you want to join us?”

He looked at me, surprised but smiling. “Are you sure?”

I shrugged. “I wouldn’t be here if it hadn’t been for you. But just to set your expectations, it’s nothing fancy or extravagant. It’s a kid’s party and we’ll be serving hotdogs and cupcakes.”