Chapter Fifteen - Final Chapter

It was the Children’s Play Day and it opened that Saturday morning  without any hitches.

The vendors were able to open their booths right on schedule, the circus performers made it on their call time and were out and about in their extravagant costumes by the time they opened the grounds to a big crowd that had been waiting since six in the morning. 

“How are our ticket sales looking?” Andy asked when he was able to grab me on my route to checking on vendors.

I glanced down at the clipboard on my hand and grinned. “We’re over our projected sales by at least twelve percent. If we keep going at this rate, we’d have tons of money at the end of the day without counting the solicitations.”

Andy beamed and patted her back. “Awesome news, Ali. I can’t believe it’s actually become such a big hit. We’ll have to keep doing this every year now.”

I rolled my eyes. “Ask me at the end of the day when I can fully say it’s officially a success.”

“Oh, loosen up, Ali,” Andy said with a dismissive wave of his hand. “As far as I can tell, we did a terrific job and we should enjoy the rest of our hard work. We’re getting together at Bart’s later after the clean up committee has restored this field to its former glory. Drinks are on me. I expect you to be there.”

“I’ll try!” I yelled after he started jogging away in the direction of the music booth. 

“Hey, Ali!” a familiar voice called out and I turned around and saw Vivi with Amanda and Don at the smoothie stand that they have bravely volunteered to man last night during our final meeting. They beckoned me over. 

“What would you like?” Amanda asked as she pulled a plastic cup from the stack. “We have a line here but I’ll make you whatever you want.”

Don laughed. “Amanda has since discovered the joy of making edible smoothies. She is obsessed.”

Amanda rolled her eyes. “It’s the first type of food I can make without involving a microwave and people slurping it down without cringing or pretending to choke and throw up. I’m proud of it.”

“She called a German company this morning to order a one-of-a-kind blender,” Vivi added with a smirk. “She said she’ll start an all-smoothie diet.”

I laughed and shook my head. “Well, I’m impressed. I’ll have a strawberry-banana.”

“Have you seen Seth around?” Vivi asked as I waited for my drink.

I nodded. “Yeah, I saw him earlier. He’s still at the solicitation booth with Patrick and Chris. Those three are working their charm, that’s for sure.”

“If only Seth can start working his with you,” Don commented with a meaningful smile. 

I shrugged. “We’ll see. When the smoke clears, we’ll try to figure it out.”

“I hope you give Seth a chance, Ali,” Don added, this time with a more serious expression. “You mean a lot to him.”