A Desperate Heart

You open your eyes and to your shock, you find yourself laying in a lush garden with white roses on every heart shaped bush. You get up and try to find a reason why you woke up here when you hear a voice coming from the other side of the rose bushes.

"Hurry and paint the roses red."

"If we don't hurry, the flowers will wilt!"

You round the corner but stop yourself short. You see walking, talking, living playing cards painting the roses. You hid behind the bush as you watch them frantically running to every white rose and covering it in red paint. You peak your head from behind the bush to watch the spectacle.

"Hurry, hurry! There are still some that aren't painted!" The ace of clubs calls to the others.

You tilt your head at their actions. Painting the roses?

You see a girl walking up to the cards. She has a blue dress with a white apron and sports blonde hair pulled back in a black ribbon. Her hands are behind her back and she leans forwards.

"Why are you painting the white roses red?" She asked the cards.

All the cards tuned to look at her in surprise, not noticing she approached them. A card with the two of clubs steps closer to her.

"Why, you ask? Well, to tell you the truth, we made a mistake and accidentally planted white roses."

The ace of clubs steps next to him. "The Queen loves red, so if she sees white, then it's off with our heads!" He moves his hand in a throat slitting motion.

You're taken aback at this and put a hand to your throat. The blonde girl only seems more curious.

"Goodness."

The cards all nod as the girl picks up a paint brush and paint can and helps the cards paint the roses. They all sing about painting the roses red.

You feel yourself getting pulled away from the garden maze, the scene distorts like a drop landed on still water, causing a ripple effect. You close your eyes and you feel your soft pillow beneath your head. You open your eyes to see your back in your ramshackle room. The sun hasn't risen yet, casting your room in darkness.

You sit up and rub your bleary eyes. I feel like I was having the strangest dream...

A rapid knocking was heard coming from the front door. Grim murmured as he stirred awake.

"Myaaah... Hey Y/N, I know it's the middle of the night, but I think we've got a visitor." Grim sat up beside you. "Maybe it's those pesky ghosts again? They just don't know when to quit."

You nod.You and Grim make your way through the dorm. A blanket wrapped securely around your shoulders. You walk down the stairs into the foyer. The knocking persists as you walk up to the door.

"Hello? Who is it?" You call out.

"It's me, Ace! Just let me in, all right?" He answered back.

You quickly unlock the door for your friend. Grim walks slowly to stand beside you.

"Ace? It's the middle of the night!" Grim angrily shouts to Ace on the other side.

You open the door to reveal an upset looking Ace. You and Grim freeze upon looking at him.

"B-bwah! That collar!"

Ace glowers at the cat, putting his hands on his hips. Around his neck was a black and red heart shaped collar. Just like the one Grim had.