Chapter 3: Three Brothers and a Wedding

Dario quietly watched the drama unfold in the dining room. He knew Domingo used to be close with Mariposa when they were younger. So much so that it became a problem for Don Sandro. They had more freedom when they were younger, the leash was longer. But as they got older, it became shorter and shorter.

Totoong kapag anak ka ng pinakamayaman at pinakamakapangyarihang tao sa buong bayan ay pwede mong gawin ang kahit anong gusto mo. Walang kakalaban sa 'yo. They have everything they could ever want, but just not the things they already want.

The short leash choked Domingo first. He left right after his mother died. Hindi na ito bumalik lalo na nang nalaman nitong nakatira na siya at ang kanyang ina sa mansion. He didn't think Domingo would ever come back as long as Don Sandro is still alive.

Domingo wanted to think that he could hide his emotions well, but being in the same room with Mariposa immediately gave those emotions away. Dario was lucky he has had more practice at it than his brother.

"Pagpasensyahan mo na si Sir Domingo," pag-aalo ni Bobet sa dalaga. "Pagod lang siguro sa byahe."

Tipid na ngumiti si Mariposa. "Ayos lang. Aalis din ho ako kaagad pagkatapos kong kumain."

"Kumain ka nang marami," utos ni Bobet. "Kumain kayo nang marami."

"Yes, boss!" Danilo said with a salute. Bobet laughed and patted his shoulder. "Carlota!" tawag nito sa katulong.

Agad na lumapit si Carlota kay Danilo. "Yes, Sir? Ano pong maipaglilingkod ko sa inyo, Sir?" magiliw nitong tanong.

Danilo let out a laugh. "Sorry, wala akong pasalubong sa 'yo."

She pouted and took a few steps back. "Ah sige, Sir. Kaya mo naman na sigurong pagsilbihan ang sarili mo."

Napangiti si Dario sa biro ng dalaga. Danilo found it amusing too, and laughed with Carlota. Bobet didn't look happy with the exchange. He cleared his throat and threw dagger looks at Carlota. The latter quickly amended her attitude.

Bobet was a stickler for rules. Noong mga bata pa sila, madalas silang magkakalaro. Domingo was the aloof one, but he still played with them when he was in the mood. Walang amo o katulong. Pantay-pantay sila.

When Bobet became the caretaker of Don Sandro's estate, a line was drawn between the sons and the help. The line grew clearer as they grew older. Bobet would sometimes let it slide, but sometimes he had to remind all of them of the clear difference in their social status. Lalo na si Carlota.

Being the only girl among the guys, Carlota was close to all of them. Lalo na kay Danilo. She treated him like her younger brother, and Danilo still kept that affection towards Carlota even when he went away. Kapag umuuwi ito, palagi itong may pasalubong kay Carlota. And in turn, she would treat him more special than the others.

Not that Dario was jealous.

"Where is dad, by the way?" tanong ni Danilo maya-maya. There was already a mountain of mussel and shrimp shells on his plate. "It doesn't smell like death here. Is he really dying?"

There was a loud gasp from the helpers. Mariposa also stopped eating upon hearing the question. Bobet dismissed all the help around the dining area. Bumuntong-hininga muna ito bago sinagot ang tanong ni Danilo.

"About that..."

"He's not dying," Dario said dryly. "Di ba nga, ang masamang damo raw matagal mamatay."

Danilo frowned at both of them. "So walang lamay na magaganap ngayong weekend?"

He shrugged. "Can't say. Baka meron."