two.

jamie stepped out of her third period feeling hopeful. she ended up really liking her gov & econ teacher, ms. rome. with the incident of this morning sitting momentarily forgotten, jamie had started feeling genuinely excited for her senior year. as she and matt made their way to the lunch table, she could feel stares and whispers around her, but she didn't really mind. it's not much of a rumor if it was true, anyway.

side by side, jamie and matt stepped outside the building. 

"i'm so glad i get to eat." matt sighed. "i didn't have breakfast this morning."

"you never have breakfast, matt." jamie shook her head with a smile. 

"hey, don't judge! i'm still full from dinner when i wake up." matt protested.

"what?" jamie laughed. "matt, your dinner is already digested by then, you can't still be full."

"well, i am." the two laughed as they approached the table. nick, isaiah, and caroline haven't arrived yet. matt and jamie continued to talk to each other. jamie was so into their conversation about who has the better driving skills, she almost missed paris pull chris to the opposite side of the courtyard. 

"look at them." she said before matt turned his head to see what she was looking at. "i still can't believe he did this. that she did it."

"why don't you try to get him back?" matt suggested. "make him feel bad for doing this shit."

"what?" jamie finally pulled her eyes away from the couple. "you mean like make chris jealous?"

"well, that's part of it." matt agreed. "basically, you're trying to make him feel like shit because he's making you feel like shit right now."

"why are you a genius?" jamie asked. "like that is such a good idea!" 

"what's a good idea?" nick approached them. behind him was isaiah and caroline.

"i was saying that jamie get with someone to make chris mad. maybe someone he hates." matt explained. 

"or someone he loves." caroline added. everyone turned to look at her with question. she shrugged. "i mean, chris is dating paris. the girl who was basically your sister. you loved her more than anyone. so maybe, try to get even by dating someone chris loves more than anyone."

everyone turned their eyes toward matt, including jamie. matt's eyes widened when he realized their proposal.

"no, absolutely not." 

"why not, matt?" nick asked. "chris got with jamie's best friend. so why doesn't jamie get with his best friend? aka, you."

"i'm not doing that to chris." matt shook his head. "why not ask nate or someone else."

"because nate won't get to chris as much as you will." isaiah added. "matt, you came up with this idea in the first place."

"exactly." caroline rolled her eyes. "besides, you and jamie don't even have to actually date. just stay friends, but when you're around chris and paris, you hold hands and act cute."

"we won't even be kissing, matt." jamie said. "but i will ask someone else if you really don't want to." 

"no." matt shook his head. "i came up with the idea, so i have to follow through. he's not going to talk to me again, though."