twenty-one.

"so, i'm thinking of asking out brionna." matt told jamie in gov&econ class. it had been a week since they texted and made up and they've been talking things out and hanging out a lot more since then. 

"really?" jamie's face lit up. "matt, that's amazing! you finally realized you like her?"

"i guess." matt said. "but how do i do it? i was going to as chris since he has a lot more experience in dating than i do," he motioned toward jamie. "but i haven't had the chance yet. so i thought, 'why not ask the girl that chris has been dating?'"

"yeah, okay." jamie replied. "what do you need help with?"

"what kind of dates has chris taken you out on that are memorable?"

"um..." jamie thought for a moment. "i mean, he did surprise me with a paintball date once."

"i'm not taking brionna out for paintball. that's not a cute date idea." matt rolled his eyes. jamie scoffed. 

"yes it is! have you not seen '10 things i hate abou you?'" she asked. when matt shook his head, jamie gasped.

"no fucking way. i'm showing you that movie later for sure."

"how do you brionna's even watched it? what if she takes me as a loser for taking her out for paintball?"

"matt, i promise you, a lot of her hopeless romantics are stemmed from this movie. it's only everyone's favorite romcom."

"my favorite is 'la la land.'" matt stated. jamie gave him a look.

"how about we make it a double date?" jamie asked. "and i can personally ask brionna how she feels about '10 things i hate about you.'"

"that's not a bad idea." matt nodded thoughtfully. "okay. you ask chris and i'll as bri?"

"yeah." jamie nodded, trying not to let it bother her that he called her 'bri.'

after class, the two walked toward lunch together. they were talking about how they should actually make plans to study for their finals together when brionna approached them. 

"hey matt." she smiled and kissed his cheek. jamie watched as the two started talking and catching up on their weekend. she had to see this every day since she and matt started talking again. usually, chris would swoop in and save her, but he texted saying he had to meet with a teacher.

"hi, jamie." brionna added once she and matt had caught up. "how was your weekend?"

"hey, brionna." jamie smiled at her. "mine was good. how was yours?"

"it was okay. now, matt told me you have this idea?" she raised her eyebrows. 

"yeah." jamie nodded. "have you watched '10 things i hate about you?'"

"of course i have!" brionna's face lit up. "it's only the best movie in the history of movies."

"thank you!" jamie exclaimed, she made a face as matt to rub it in his face. "see, i told you she's seen it."

"whatever." matt rolled his eyes. "bri, are you aware of the paintball date idea?"

"uh, duh!" brionna's smile widened. "the one where they sneak out of detention, play paintball, and end up kissing? hello, i need that."