twelve.

after lunch, jamie sat through english, trying hard to ignore the burning stares from paris that were coming next to her. paris had been giving her dirty looks since halloween and jamie was seriously starting to get sick of it. 

"can you not?" she finally asked as soon as they finished the lesson. paris blinked. 

"not what?" she asked, innocently. jamie rolled her eyes. 

"be so goddamn insufferable." she said before reaching into her backpack. she took out her laptop and began to work more on her creative writing project. they had already started applying the tips and tricks from the semester to the narrative they wrote at the beginning of the year.

"i'm not the one that kissed my ex's brother." paris said, simply. jamie glared at her. 

"you really wanna play this game?" she asked. "i'm not the one that got with my best friend's ex boyfriend." 

"please, jamie." paris rolled her eyes. "don't be so dramatic."

"i fucking hate you." jamie replied, turning her attention back to her work. she was so sick of paris at this point. she wondered how she was even friends with someone so annoying and so not a girls' girl.

during study hall, jamie thought about what to say to chris. she had the whole conversation layed out. she just prayed that he'd cooperate and reply how she hoped.

"chris." jamie said as soon as she approached their art table. "we need to talk."

"there's nothing to talk about." chris replied, not even looking up. jamie inhaled, sharply. she looked over at ms. tylers, sending the teacher a silent message, before grabbing chris' arm and pretty much dragging him out of the room. she took him outside, by the stairwell.

"oh, what the fuck, jamie?"

"i need to talk to you." jamie said, looking at chris. "look at me, chris."

"fine." chris grimaced as he put his phone in his pocket. "what do you want?"

"i wanted to explain what happened on halloween."

"explain what, exactly?" chris raised his eyebrows. "that you kissed my brother just to get back at me?"

"you got with my best friend, first."

"ex-best friend."

"yeah, we stopped being friends because of you, dumbass." jamie seethed. the two stared at each other firmly, neither wanting to break eye contact.

"i didn't mean do anything to ruin your relationship with paris." chris said after a moment of silence. jamie scoffed. 

"don't fucking lie, chris."

"i'm not." chris deadpanned. "i swear to god, jamie, the last thing i wanted was to hurt you. do you really think i didn't think about the consequences of dating your best friend? fuck, i still feel guilty about it." he said. jamie was at a loss for words. this was not what she had hoped and expected him to say at all. 

"then why are you doing it?" 

"i really don't know." chris admitted. he took a deep breath. "when you were in europe over the summer, i was lost. it had been months since we broke up and i was still a mess. and you were in europe living your best life while i was sulking in my bedroom twenty-four seven."