Chapter 7: New Beginnings

~Elliot~

"Where are you taking us?" Natalie asked me for the millionth time.

"You really don't know the definition of surprise do you?" I said chuckling.

I heard Haley hum to the song that was playing on the radio. I glanced at her in the rearview mirror as she bobbed her head to the beat.

I turned into a farm and found a parking spot.

"Are we going apple picking?" She asked excitedly.

I nodded. "I thought it was something fun we could do with the three of us."

I got out and then opened the door to unbuckle Haley from her carseat. She jumped down and then grabbed my hand.

"Can we eat the apples?" She asked, looking up at me.

I nodded. "We can make all sorts of things with these apples. Apple pie, apple tarts, apple sauce-"

"Apple sauce?" Haley questioned excitedly. "I love apple sauce."

We walked around the car and when Natalie saw us she got another look on her face like she had at the Homecoming game.

Haley skipped, but still had her hand in mine. Natalie walked behind us as we approached the farm's stand.

"How many baskets?" The worker asked.

"Two please." I said pulling out my wallet, and grabbing my credit card.

"Oh I'm sorry sir, this is cash only." The worker said with a frown.

Natalie touched my arm and stepped forward. "Can you change it to one then, please?"

The worker nodded and grabbed from behind him a wooden basket.

"But I wanted my own." Haley whined and stuck out her bottom lip.

"This one is for you, Little One." Natalie said, handing her the basket.

She smiled happily and took the basket from her. I looked at Natalie and frowned. I was going to say something, but she gave me a look that said don't.

We headed to the apple trees. I lifted Haley up so she was on my shoulders. She rested the bucket on my head, much to Natalie's warning not to. After much coaxing Natalie now held the basket and Haley dropped the apples into it, from on top of my shoulders.

"I wish they would've mentioned it on the website about the cash only rule." I grumbled in a low voice.

Natalie chuckled. "It's okay, E. This is amazing anyway."

She reached up and grabbed one of the apples of the branch. She inspected it and then put it in the basket. We then saw a little boy struggling to grab an apple. She reached for it easily and handed it to the little boy. He gave us a toothy grin and ran off to his family.

I just can't believe how selfless she is. She's so kind and gives so much to others, not just to Haley and Nate but to complete strangers too. It made me wonder how much she cares for herself. Does she take care of herself?

I know she has trauma, especially with what happened last night at the dance. It was clear that she had some unhealed wounds.

"I want to get that one, E." Haley said pointing near the top of the tree.

"I think that's too high, Haley." I said coming closer to the tree. I looked for one lower that she could reach. "What about grabbing that one?"

She shook her head and began to squirm on my shoulders. I held onto her feet.