Chapter 9: The Next Steps

~Elliot~

"Stop laughing, I'm serious." Nate said, looking around us nervously.

"I'm sorry, man, but you saw Emma and I?" I asked, wiping tears from my eyes. "I don't know if I would really be an expert on the topic."

"You're the closest that I have." Nate said with a look in his eyes that said please help. "I don't really have anyone in my life to turn to."

"I don't know how much help I'd be, but I am willing to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability."

Nate breathed out a sigh of relief. "Thanks. I owe you one."

"You're letting me date your sister." I said smugly. "I say we are even."

Nate shuddered. "Actually on second thought maybe I shouldn't talk to you about it."

I put my arm around his shoulders. "Come on. Natalie and I are taking things slow, you don't have to worry. Besides, the topic seems to freak her out."

I thought back to Homecoming when Natalie had a panic attack.

"Yeah." Nate said in a low voice and then shook his head. "Can you tell me more about it? I know where everything goes...but is there anything I should know? It would be my first time and I don't want to do anything wrong. I don't know if we're there yet, but I want to be prepared. We seem to be moving faster than I thought and I'm nervous."

I grinned. He was being really shy which kind of reminded me of Natalie when she gets shy. No wonder they are twins.

"Well first thing is that it's all about her..." I started walking into the school building.

We talked until the bell rang, signaling to get to homeroom.

"Thanks E." He said. He looked visibly more relaxed.

"It's supposed to be fun, but the first time is always the hardest and most awkward, because you're just getting used to each other." I explained.

I felt like I should teach stuff like this. I felt proud to share my experiences to help someone.

Nate sighed. "I'll keep that in mind. Thanks."

I slapped his shoulder. "Anything for you. Honestly I feel closer to you somehow."

Nate chuckled. "Same."

I looked in the classroom behind me and noticed Natalie hunched over her desk sketching something. I smiled at how cute she looked.

"I'll see ya around." I said looking at Nate.

He nodded. "See ya, E."

~Natalie~

"So you're not going to tell me what you and Nate talked about?" I asked as I stood in line with E to buy lunch.

E smiled smugly, like he was proudly hiding something, and shook his head. "Nope."

I sighed and grabbed a plate of nachos. At least Emma won't be dumping them on my head again.

E grabbed two cheeseburgers and some tater tots. We headed over to the register where E paid for my food, with me trying to protest.

"Natalie, I can spare a dollar." E said handing over his credit card.

I sighed. Part of me loves being doted on with money, but the other part of me is guilty. Especially since it's not E's actual money that he earns it makes me feel more guilty.