Chapter 17

It was around a week later, and it was sunny before school so Victoria, Penelope, and Chris sat in the cool shade of the library. Victoria and Penelope sat on the same chair. It was oversized, but with the both of them on it, it was crowded, and they were practically cuddling.

Chris was sitting on a chair, his large laptop in front of him. "So, Victoria, any updates on your adventures in stalking?" He asked.

She shook her head. "Not many. I tried to rule out some of the least likely, just so we could check them off the list. Carlos Ruth, Anne French, Mrs Butcher, Samson Crawford, Dennis Hagan, and Peter Preist are all humans."

Chris deleted their lines from the spreadsheet. "Anyone else?"

"Well, I checked Aubrey's house," Victoria said.

Penelope jerked in the seat to face her girlfriend. "What? Why?"

Victoria looked away guiltily. "Sorry, Pip. Just had to.. You know. Anyways, no one in her family is a vampire."

"Anything else?" Penelope asked. She wanted to know anything that she could use as ammo against her longest-term bully.

"Her father is a mean alcoholic," the vampiress mumbled. "I feel a bit bad for judging her."

Penelope blinked. "Man. You never can tell. Is there anything we can do?"

The black-haired girl shook her head. "I called the cops, but they didn't do much. I don't think there's anything else we can do."

"Besides..." Victoria put her hands up to her face to make two small fangs.

"Chhk. Yeah. Maybe let's not do that. Could you maybe just scare the shit out of him?"

Victoria brought a slender, pale finger up to her lips and tapped it twice. "Maybe. If you come up with an idea of how to do it."

Penelope beamed. "I'm sure I can." Victoria brought her in tight for a hug.

Chris cleared his throat. "Lovebirds."

They broke apart. "Anyone I should check next?" Victoria asked.

"Just go after more of the low suspicion people for now," Chris said.

"I don't think we should be going after small fish," Penelope interjected. "There's only so much time until the next person goes missing. Until the next person is killed. The last one was a week ago, the one before that three weeks ago..." She paused, her eyes widening.

"Chris, can you pull up the dates?"

"Who do you think I am? Of course I can."

Penelope went over the dates once more in her mind. The dates were spaced apart by two weeks. Based on her knowledge of astronomy and astrology, it seemed to also coincide with the changing of the moon's phase.

"It's happening during full and hall moons," Penelope said. "Every two weeks."

Chris searched up the dates. "Wow. I never would have thought of that. Good job, Penelope."

"So we have a week or so until the next person goes missing," Victoria said. "Maybe I can be out in town during the night, watching and seeing if someone will appear."

"Most of those who have gone missing are from the edges of town. Heidi was walking down a forested road towards home. The janitor was at school, and while this place isn't at the edge of town, it was abandoned," Chris said. "But you should still keep a lookout until we know a better place to look."

The bell rang, and they all rose from their seats.

"I'll try and ask some teachers and suspicious students questions today," Penelope said.