Chapter 8-Jealousy

Going back to school was interesting. When I first entered, everyone stared at me and speed walked past me like I was a serial killer or a criminal. Most of them were whispering amongst themselves. I sighed as I walked towards my locker. As I was putting my things into my locker, someone shouted my name from behind me.

"Hey Jake!"

I turned around and saw one of my friends, Naomi.

"Howdy," I smiled.

"Ah'm luking for Trinity. Have you seen her?" she asked nervously.

Trinity is Naomi's sister. They are both younger than me.

"Umm no why?"

"She seemed weird dis mornin' and jus' ran to class."

"Oh," I replied. "Did she see what happened a few weeks ago?"

"Yeah," she replied slowly.

"Probably why then."

Naomi looked down the hallway and her face was a look of shockness and disgust.

"Um Jake?"

"What's wrong?" I asked. I took a peek down the hall, but I didn't see anything odd.

"Cody is talking to Lulu. Look," Naomi said as she pointed her finger towards two people.

I froze after I saw what she was talking about. Cody is Kevin's brother. Cody is a jerk and "likes" Lulu. Cody is also disgusting. A smirk was always on his face as he talked to every girl he's around. His eyes would spark with mischief and allure. He tried looking up a girl's skirt once. Earned him a slap to the face.

I slammed my locker shut and told Naomi that I would talk to her later. I began to solemnly walk towards Cody and Lulu.

'Why is he talkin' to her?'

Once I got close to Lulu, I threw my arms around her, hugging from behind.

"Wassup."

"Hey," she giggled, blushing.

I stared at Cody with intense eye contact. He stared back, a fake smile plastered on his face.

"Why so happy?" I asked, my eyes leaving Cody to look at Lulu.

"Oh nothing."

"Mhm sure."

Lulu moved away. "Well ah have to git tuh class. I'll see you later."

I watched her walk down the hallway until she disappeared. Cody was also watching. Not just watching, he was staring at her ass.

"Dude, is she yo' girlfriend?" Cody chuckled.

"What? No. Ah'm just her best friend," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah right. She does have a nice ass."

"Hey, you don't get to compliment her ass."

He snickered, "And so you can?"

I scoffed.

"Just stay away from her. You got it?" I told him in a stern voice, pushing my index finger into his chest.

"What you gonna do if I don't?" Cody scowled as he swatted my finger away. "Turn into a ferocious dog?"

'Wolf.'

I didn't say anything for a moment. Then I grimaced, "You will regret it."

Cody scoffed and walked past me, nudging me in the process.

At lunch, I sat with my friends as usual. Mike was sitting next to me, Kevin sat next to Mike and Josh was on the other side of the table.

"Are you ok bro?" I heard Mike say as he slightly nudged me.

I looked at him as I was picking at my food.

"No. Mah senses are growin' stronger,'' I mumbled. "And Cody keeps flirting with Lulu!"

"Calm down Jake. Everyone is gonna start looking at us," Kevin said.

"They were already starin' at me in de hallway."

I gazed ahead at a table where Lulu sat. Next to her was Cody. Her friends were also at the table with them. They seemed uncomfortable. I shifted in my seat as I watched Lulu talk to Cody. Part of me wanted to just go over there and confront him. I smiled at the thought.

"Jake, why you didn't tell us that you could turn into that thing? Do not avoid this question again," Kevin said.

"Umm," I said, pulling my attention towards my friends. "Ah don't know. Ah wuz gonna tell you guys eventually, but Mike is de only one ah told besides Lulu."

"What? You told him and not us?!" Josh shouted.

"Josh, please, he probably has a good reason," Kevin told him.

"Mike and Lulu are my closest friends. You out of all people should kno' dat," I said to Josh.

"And what about us?!" Josh asked.

"Josh, ah swear you have anger issues," I mumbled.

"Says the boy dat gits mad easily when somethin' happens," he grumbled.

I picked up my milk carton and drank a bit. I winked at Mike and threw the carton at Josh, making milk spill all over him.

"What the hell Jake!"

Mike and I chuckled darkly.

"Why did you do that?" asked Kevin, holding back a smile.

"Ah did dat cuz he doesn't know how to shut his mouth," I said.

I stabbed my fork into an apple as I stared straight ahead at the table where Cody and Lulu were sitting.

During the whole day, I spent my free time following Lulu and Cody around. They hung out in the library. They were looking at books, scamming through bookshelves. Every 5 minutes, Cody would rub her shoulder or put his arm around her. It took everything in me to not snap. I almost blew my cover when I almost went past them as they were walking down the aisle. I could've walked right into them, going to the next aisle.

I tried waiting for her at our favorite spot in the hallway which was a wall with a golden sun mixed with orange painted on it. It was a symbol for our school name and district. Sunset.

Lulu didn't show up.

'She's probably off wit dat pervert.'

I got fed up and decided to avoid her whenever she wanted to talk to me.

After school, before I started walking home, Lulu came up to me. I groaned and said, "What do you want, Lu?"

"Why are you avoidin' me?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Ah'm not stupid Jake."

"Ah'm not the one doin' the avoidin'. You are."

She pretended to be confused. "What do you mean?"

"What do you mean? Really? You've been hanging out with Cody all day and left me all alone," I told her, standing close to her.

Lulu crossed her arms. "He's a friend."

"Lu, are you crazy? Cody is a pervert. You should know that. I saw you guys. He was having wandering eyes and being touchy."

"We're spying on each other now?"

"Lu, you skipped our favorite spot. You never do that."

She looked me in the eye with a sorry expression. She reached for my hand, but I moved it away. "Jake, ah'm sorry."

I shook my head and walked away.