Chapter 35

Once upon a time, there was a rainbow haired girl who was gifted with the ability to pluck stories out of the air and weave their truth and lies together in a colorful tapestry until it was impossible to tell the difference. People wrapped themselves in her colorful words, hypnotized. But every gift has a price and hers was isolation. Because once those stories filled the world, the tapestries squeezed everyone they touched, bleeding strands of colors from them to create more tales until no one wanted to be around the rainbow haired girl anymore.

...

Anger.

Everywhere I looked, anger rolled off of people like a palpable thing. Eyes narrowed, faces turned red, body postures closed off, itching for a fight. And it didn't take a genius to know why everyone suddenly wanted to tear me apart.

I had stumbled into a fight club. A boss level of a video game. An annual tournament of the Hunger Games. A version of The Walking Dead where everyone was still very much alive and they just wanted me very very dead.

They know. They know. They know.

The words I had been so scared of becoming my reality were suddenly real and there was no hiding from it. Everyone knew what I had done. What I had spent years doing and there was no turning back.

My fingers shook, itching to reach for my phone. To know how deep the cuts were. To see how much I had made them bleed. To see how fast I needed to run.

Shouts rang out, venomous, sharp like daggers. Everything was loud and biting, making it impossible to understand any one person.

I finally pulled out my phone, expecting a story that would reveal to the world how terrible I truly was... but it was worse. FAR. FAR. WORSE.

I couldn't breathe.

Instead of one story that revealed my secret, I saw four. Each story, a nail in my coffin. Terrible, hurtful words that burned pink and black across the website like splattered blood. The colors a familiar greeting from my years of service to its disgustingly alluring nature.

I paled, eyes wide

I paled, eyes wide. "No..." I whispered, my voice lost in the noise.