Part 5: The Drink

After almost a month at sea, Lucas could finally spot land from the bow of the ship, he took out his binoculars and zoomed into the distant shore. Lucas' hair had grown longer and gotten dryer from lack of proper care. Only just below his ears now, around his chin. His facial hair had grown too, albeit barely. By night they would be at the dock. The men on the ship were in a cheery mood, celebrating as they got closer, awaiting for the European port to take them in.

All Lucas had to do was claim his payment and get off the ship, then he'd be free, hopefully. He grabs a piece of bread and canned corn and sits at the bow of the ship as he opens the can and slowly eats the contents within. He finished it off with the bread. And as a cool breeze hits, he pulls up his coat and moves towards the inside/lower deck for warmth.

As he walked down the rickety wooden steps, he let the warmth of lanterns and sailors welcome him. He walked over and slipped up into his hammock that he'd been sleeping in for the past month. Propped up right above another hammock, the sailors all lounged about, some spurring their words from drinking. The man below Lucas offered him a drink from a bottle of gin. Lucas wasn't much of a drinker but he still took the bottle, taking a swig and handing the half empty bottle back to the man below. The drink is dry, despite being a liquid. It's hot and feels spicy, almost spiky in sensation, the taste of citrus is there as well. Somewhere in there, but the flavor feels lost, not simply diluted or backwashed, but simply not where it should be.

It's as if this drink was made to dry yourself out in a sea of sorrow. Either way it wasn't good. Lucas drifted in his thoughts as the ship sailed to land. Within hours they had reached the port. By then Lucas had had many drinks. He stumbled off the ship after collecting his pay with all his things encased in his trenchcoat and a bottle in his hand.

He roamed through the dark streets of the port town and made his way to the ends of it, he walked along a dirt pathway forward to wherever he would get to. Walking and walking as he drank from his bottle. Eventually he got within view of the London walls, he made his way farther as his vision seeped away slowly. He moved to a nearby river bank to get some water. And as he did, he tripped and tumbled down the bank into the shallow water. It was enough to set him asleep.

He slowly drifted until he washed up on the bank again a few miles down. Staying asleep as the sun laid its bright sight on him, he slept blissfully in the morning light as the peaceful bleak field around him said nothing. Then, slowly, the sound of a carriage dragged along the road. Eventually stopping a few feet behind the blonde man.

"Young master, there appears to be a man lying on the river bank"

Claimed the man driving the buggy

"So what? Just ride past him"

A voice from within said before the driver responded again

"It's just, he seems ill, and he looks American"

A scoff from within the wagon arose as the door on the side opened and out stepped a young boy with soft blue hair and an eye patch around his right eye

"I suppose there is a hospital on the way..." he says as he rolls his eye