Part 11: Getting Acquainted

Lucas started reading the books, and he found them fascinating but also mildly dreadful. Each one detailed proper etiquette for European butlers. The subtleties required for even simple things such as pouring tea, laying out food, bringing things to the master. Such trivial tasks requiring such strict regulation. And he hasn't even gotten to the book about appearances, outfits, and presentability.

Lucas toiled at them for hours, practicing minor gestures as he went along. It felt as if he was growing closer and closer to the end but every page simply had more and more information. Lucas didn't even feel the time pass until he heard a knock at his door.

Mey-Rin, stood there, with a covered dish.

“May I come in?”

Lucas nodded and opened the door wide for her, as she stepped in, laying the dish on the table gently.

“Mr. Sebastian said the Young Master will finalize your employment tomorrow morning, then you'll be tailored by Mr. Sebastian”

“He’s gonna be, tailoring me…. himself?”

“Yes, he may come by rather early so don't expect to be able to sleep in”

“Oh alright, uhm, well thank you for the food and the room”

“You’re welcome, now if you will, I'm off to bed now”

“Did you not eat?”

“Oh I had a light bit of mash, but a ladies got to keep her figure so I can't load up too much ya know”

“Oh but everyone must eat, here you can have some of mine-”

“No, no I couldn't, besides you need all that so you can stay a strong man, you did just get off a ship didn't you?”

“Well I suppose but it's still not healthy for you to-”

“I'll be fine really, now goodnight”

Mey-Rin closed the door with a smile, Lucas dug into his meal, rather simple. Nothing compared to the steak in America but, is anything really?

After finishing up, Lucas sat In his bed and cozied up against the wall, only to remember.

Linen blankets instead of wool.

How could he ever live like this, he thought as he formed a disgusting look on his face, truly there is nothing better then soft blankets. The linen felt almost grainy against his body.

He drifted off to sleep eventually, in the night, a warm breath lingered over him. A dreaded heat that made him sweat. He dreamt of being in a desert, as an eye dragged its vision over him. Watching him dream.

Suddenly he felt his breath feel hot and short, something was covering him. The sand slowly enveloped him as he sunk into it, trying to fight it but he was simply too tired to break free before finally pushing his head forward and out of the sand. Simultaneously shooting up from his bed.

He thought he saw something for a split second moving up, dashing away into the darkness. He looked around to see nothing, it was likely still very early morning. He checked his pocket watch laying on the nightstand, 5:58 it said. A few more hours to sleep, he thought. He laid back down before hearing a knock at the door, getting back up he opened the door to see Sebastian standing there.

“Uh, good morning Mr Sebastian”

“Yes good morning to you to, the young master will be awake soon, he will likely wish to finalize your employment, first thing. So I wished to give you a heads up to prepare your appearance”

“Oh, well I appreciate it, are my current clothes alright though?

Lucas was still wearing his same attire from yesterday, simply with his vest hanging on a coat rack, leaving him in pants and a dress shirt.