Chapter 5

It was the night before my birthday when I received a call from you. You were crying and you sounded so scared. I did not even think twice and ran out of the house to go to you.

"Sir Marcus, saan po kayo pupunta?" the guard manning our gate asked.

"Mang Oscar, pabukas po ng gate, nasa labas lang po si Alex, may iaabot lang po akong hinihiram n'yang libro."

"Sige po, Sir," the guard said opening the gate. "Iwan ko lang po itong nakabukas."

"'Yung service gate na lang po para hindi ko na po kayo maabala mamaya."

"Okay po," he said closing the gate again. I heard the service gate's lock click open.

Mang Oscar, sorry po talaga...

I had never been out so late and I was nervous but I knew you needed me and I had to be brave for you so I slipped past the subdivision's guard unnoticed and then hailed a cab.

"Anong nangyari?" I asked as soon as you got inside the taxi.

You were trembling and your disheveled hair was covering half of your face.

"Mamaya na natin pag-usapan, please..."

"Okay..." I said pulling you into my arms.

"Saan na po tayo, Sir?" the driver asked and I realized I had no idea where we would go.

"Teka lang po, Manong..."

I knew I couldn't bring you home but I had no plans of leaving you by yourself, too. I decided to call Alexander.

"Alam mo ba kung anong oras na? Langhiya ka naman, eh, ang sarap na ng panaginip ko, pa-second base na ako kay Judy, Bro—"

"I need your help, Alex," I said over the phone and something in my voice must have fully woken my best friend up because he suddenly turned serious.

"Anong problema?"

"I need a place to stay."

"Sinong kasama mo?"

"Girlfriend ko," I said.

"Si Lauren?" he asked.

I thought of correcting him but changed my mind. It wouldn't bring you any good if people learned that you were going to spend the night with me.

"Please, Alex, I need your help."

"Nasaan ka ba ngayon?"

"Nasa taxi."

"Teka, tatawagan kita after five minutes. Steady ka lang d'yan, may tatawagan lang ako."

"Okay. Thank you, Alex."

True to his word, my best friend called at exactly four minutes and thirty seconds. Gago man si Alexander Sandoval sa babae ay matinong kaibigan naman s'ya.

"Nakausap ko na 'yung caretaker ng farm namin sa Pampanga. Pwede kayo d'un. May pera ka bang dala? Gusto mo bang puntahan kita?"

"May dala ako, Bro. Maraming salamat."

"Sus, wala 'yun. Mag-ingat kayo. Tawagan mo ako kung may kailangan ka pa," he said before he gave me the address.

We arrived at the Sandoval farm after more than an hour of travel. You had a carry-on bag with you but I did not bring anything with me. We were greeted by the caretaker who led us to a bungalow to rest.

"Kumain na ba kayo?"

"Kumain ka na ba, Agatha?" I asked.

You nodded wordlessly.