Chapter 12: Speaking Freely

Cole

The Great Hall had four rows of marble pillars, rising higher than any other ceiling in the palace. The white, red, and gold tiled floor was always polished and waxed. It was the only room in the palace large enough for the entire royal family and all the dragons.

Talon was already there when I arrived. He was curled up, like a sleeping dog. When I entered the hall, he opened one eyelid lazily, grumbled at me, and closed the lid again.

Rosalie rested her elbow, and her weight, on Morganna's wedge-shaped, ridged head. Morganna slumbered peacefully, light smoke tendrils curling from her nostrils.

I motioned for Sabine to stand off to the side. Her presence wasn't necessary, but as my personal attendant, it gave me reason to include her in a family meeting. If I planned to find out why Talon was so interested in her, I needed to keep pushing her out of her comfort zone.

A meeting with my father would definitely be uncomfortable.

"Where is everyone?" I asked as I walked toward Rosalie.

She shrugged. "Allistair and Dromon should be on their way..."

Click. Click. Click.

The unmistakable sound of dragon claws on the tile ebbed closer. Through the steel arch of the Great Hall, Alistair and his crystalline dragon entered. Dromon immediately went to Morganna's side and lay beside her, their backs pressed together.

King Talis and the golden Queen Dragon Amonette arrived last, fashionably late. Amonette positioned herself behind my father, her head raised, fully alert.

Whenever her golden eyes fell on me, I felt it deep in my bones. I narrowed my eyes and crossed my arms.

"What is so important that it requires all of us?" I asked, addressing the king bluntly.

"I was most disturbed, Cole, by your recent reports. Stivalia is overreaching and I know that if we don't put a stop to it, they'll continue to encroach on us." The king's eyes stared at me just as hard as his dragon's.

I took a deep breath and stared past my father and the dragon. "They haven't encroached. The moment any of their mages attack, Wyatt and I are ready. You can be sure, Father, that I showed them just what dragons are capable of in the last battle."

My father's thin, pale lips curled into a broad smile. "That's what I like to hear."

"Why do I have to be here for this? Cole is the one that likes to play soldier," Alistair complained. He tilted his head back with an annoyed groan.

"If we are to go to war with Stivalia, then all of you must be prepared, whether you're in direct combat or not. The future of this family is at stake." The king's hand landed on his decorated sword hilt.

"War? Who said anything about war?" Rosalie's voice rose nervously.

"Tension with Stivalia has been growing for some time..."

My father's voice droned on but I stopped listening. I glanced at Talon. His eyes were still closed but I knew he was awake.

How long until he declares war? The crimson beast asked.

Ask Amonette. She'll have a better read on his thoughts and emotions.

You don't like it when I connect with her. You don't want her to see inside us.

I sighed and nodded discreetly to the dragon. From your vantage point of having your eyes closed, could you at least try to pick up on anything useful?