Chapter 32: An Unusual Conversation

Sabine

"Draw my bath," Prince Cole demanded as he swept into his room.

I was still fluffing his pillows in preparation for his return. He didn't even look at me as he walked behind the changing screen. I could see his silhouette as his clothes were discarded.

My cheeks heated and I hurried to the brass tub. I'd ordered hot water earlier, suspecting he'd want a bath after getting Talon squared away. The dragon's approach on the horizon since dawn, the shape getting ever closer and more massive, had me running about all day to prepare for the prince's return.

Water gushed into the tub and Prince Cole entered the bathroom with a robe wrapped around him. It was secure at the waist but one silken sleeve hung off his shoulder ever so slightly, showing the thick cords of his neck and the smooth, sculpted shape of his chest.

I quickly ducked my eyes to the water. A thick froth of bubbles covered the surface and the water was obscured underneath. I turned the water off and turned my back to him.

I heard him sigh and the soft swish of silk against his skin. The blood rushed to my cheeks and I squinted my eyes closed. Why hadn't he dismissed me before completely disrobing?

A few splashing sounds followed and the prince sighed again. This one was longer.

"Are you going to keep your back to me all night?" His voice was tight.

I grabbed a towel from the linen cabinet and returned to stand by the tub. "I was not expecting to keep you company during your bath, Your Majesty."

His surly features cracked and a grin spread across his lips. I kept my eyes up but I could still see him. The thick layer of bubbles created an opaque barrier and everything below his neck was mercifully covered.

The prince closed his eyes and leaned back in the tub. His arms rested on the sides, small bubbles clinging to them and covering portions of them. His hands gripped the edge of the tub so hard his knuckles were white.

I quickly scanned the rest of him, what I could see. His neck muscles popped out under his skin and a muscle in his jaw twitched repeatedly.

Prince Cole opened one eye and arched an eyebrow at me.

I gasped and looked down, clutching the towel in my hands closer to my chest.

"Something wrong?"

"No, Sire." I shook my head vigorously.

"Then why were you making that face?"

I put my hand on my face and checked my features. Had I been making a face at him? I hadn't even noticed.

"Nothing... I just... My apologies, Your Highness, but you seem very tense."

He chuckled and nodded. "That's putting it lightly. I thought a warm bath would help." He flicked at the bubbles.

He soaked in the bath a while longer without dismissing me. I stood beside the tub with his towel. When he informed me that he was ready to get out, I set the towel on a stool beside the tub.

"I'll fetch fresh clothing." I hurried out of the bathroom before he could stand up. I pulled some clothes from his closet and left them behind the changing screen as I gathered his dirty clothes to bring to the laundry.

When I returned, the prince was dressed. He sat in an armchair, his back arched forward, hair hanging in front of his eyes. He rested his elbows on his knees, eyes fixed on his upturned hands.

"That thing you did... to help me relax. Can you do it again?"

"The massage?" I flexed my hands at my sides.