Chapter 33: Colliding Forces

Sabine

I cleared my throat and shook my head. "I was thinking aloud, Majesty."

He narrowed his eyes slightly.

"If there is nothing else, Sire, I would like to retire for the night."

He waved me away. "Yes, that is all."

I bowed and headed toward my room. At the back of my mind, the king's visit gnawed. I should tell the prince. My loyalty was to him and I knew there was tension between them. Prince Cole would want to know and as his personal attendant, I was supposed to prioritize his wants and needs.

My fingers clasped the cool metal of the handle on the adjoining door. I took a deep breath and listened. In the bedroom, I could hear the prince pacing. It sounded like he still had many thoughts on his mind.

The king offered me freedom, which Prince Cole seemed intent on denying me. He'd been quick to interrupt the king and me at the Solstice Dance. But could I trust an offer from the king? What price would I have to pay?

I continued on to my rooms. Based on their relationship, I was certain Prince Cole would not fault me for disobeying an order from the king. The king could still punish me and being someone else's property wouldn't be enough to shield me. Until I knew more about why the king offered me freedom, I'd keep it to myself.

A maid shuffling breakfast into my room pulled me from my sleep. She waved at me before retreating. Sighing, I collapsed on the pillow and glanced out my bedroom window. The sun had barely risen over the horizon. The maid was early.

Did Prince Cole need me already?

Yawning, I stretched and dawned a robe. There was a folded note sticking out of my breakfast tray.

Sabine,

I will not be needing your services for a few days. My wing of the palace is being shut down and you can spend your time as you see fit.

Prince Cole

I yawned again and slipped the note under the tray. I knew the prince liked his solitude but to give me time off so soon after his return... I got the feeling something more was on his mind.

My stomach fluttered. Had he learned more about Princess Cara? Whatever he learned could easily lead back to Princess Aura, and perhaps me.

It was a warm, sunny day, so I grabbed a book and headed to the gardens. There was a hammock between two large, flowering Magnolia trees. This time of year, the flowers were in full bloom and the scent was soothing. I loved laying in that hammock and reading, listening to the birds and the buzzing bees.

There wasn't a single gardener out today. If Prince Cole shut his entire wing down, none of the normal staff would be around. The gardens were still lively with birds and butterflies. Even the koi fish in the pond seemed active in the warmth.

The stone pathway beneath my feet shivered and a low rumble filled the air. My knees buckled and I braced against the tremor. I caught a flash of red out of the corner of my eye.

Talon stretched out on a flat, stone slab next to the pond. His scales glinted with sunlight and he stretched like a happy kitten. His long neck craned in my direction and he held out his front paw. The great dragon beckoned me closer with his claw.

"Umm..." I glanced around to make sure we were alone in the gardens.

Dragons were as sacred as royalty, if not more so. I had to show him the highest levels of respect.

I bowed my head and moved closer. He extended his neck beyond the stone slab, his nose leveling with my face.

His nostrils flared as his warm breath escaped, sending my hair flying. His red, horn-rimmed eyes crossed over his nose as he looked at me.