Quidditch, Dueling, Decisions

With all the grandeur and theatrical flair that only Professor McGonagall could muster, she led Harry and Ron up the majestic stone steps and along the elegant marble staircase. Her stern demeanor made her seem like a human metronome of sternness, swinging open doors with a flourish and marching through the corridors. Harry and Ron soon found themselves unwilling participants in a game they didn't know they were playing: "Follow the Professor."

As they stumbled into an unused classroom, Ron couldn't help but scratch his head in bewilderment. "Do you reckon this is some sort of bizarre magical tour?"

"What in Merlin's beard were you two thinking?" Professor McGonagall burst out.

"Oh," Ron realized, standing awkwardly next to Harry in one of the unused classrooms that McGonagall had led them to. "Didn't think she'd hear about my daring Neville-rescue so quickly."

"Sorry, Professor," Harry began. "But Malfoy nabbed our friend's Remembrall. I just wanted to get it back for him. Chasing after Malfoy sounded like a good idea—"

"One that could've landed you in the infirmary, Mr. Potter!" McGonagall's glare swung over to Ron. "And you, Mr. Weasley! Flying off without supervision from Madam Hooch! You're fortunate you didn't end up with a two-for-one deal: broken bones and a concussion!"

"I wasn't about to let my friend get hurt," Ron said honestly. "I know it was a bit reckless, but at least he didn't get hurt. How's Neville, anyway?"

McGonagall's anger softened a bit at his question. "He's with Madam Pomfrey at the moment. She must be working her magic on him now, and he'll most likely be released in time for dinner, I suppose."

She pushed her glasses up her nose. "It's admirable that you two are brave enough to stand up for your friends, but there's a fine line between bravery and recklessness. Recklessness is the path of the foolish, and I expect my lions to know the difference."

Ron's eyebrows twitched. "I know I could have handled it better, but I don't regret trying to help Neville. Even if it meant I might not make the Quidditch team in our first year, I'd never let someone get hurt on my watch. I've seen enough of that during the Second Wizarding War."

"If a situation like that were to happen again, I'd do the same in a heartbeat," Ron declared with fiery determination.

Both Harry and McGonagall stared at him for a good minute, leaving Ron feeling increasingly flustered.

"Wait a moment, you two," McGonagall finally said in a clipped tone before closing the classroom door behind her.

Silence hung in the air for a few seconds before Harry whispered, "Do you think this will get us expelled?"

Ron shook his head quickly. "No way, mate! I mean, not you! You're Harry Potter if you haven't noticed. The worst they could do is give you detention and dock a few house points." He couldn't say the same for himself, though, Ron thought. "Err, but talking back to her probably wasn't the wisest move I've made in a while."

"I don't know. Most of your ideas are usually brilliant," Harry remarked.

"The first time I've heard it put that way."

"And if you think Professor McGonagall won't get me expelled, I'm sure you won't be either," Harry added. "I meant to say this earlier, but what you did for Neville was really something special. More than your flying."

"Nah, you'd have done the same for us, Harry."

"I think you forgot the part where I just stood there watching you do the work."

Ron shrugged. "And you went after Neville's Remembrall and showed Malfoy. Don't sell yourself short."

"I could say the same for you," retorted Harry.