Pitch-Perfect Execution

A week after their introduction to Wood and their inclusion in the Quidditch team, a thrilling surprise arrived in the mail, much to their delight. The Great Hall was abuzz as owls flooded in, but the attention of all was immediately captured by a long, thin package carried by six large screech owls. While Ron had a hunch about the contents, he decided to play it cool and appeared just as curious as everyone else.

To their amazement, the owls descended and dropped the package right in front of Harry and Ron, even knocking Ron's bacon to the floor. As they stepped aside, another owl dropped a letter on top of the package. Harry was quick to tear open the letter, which was fortunate, as it read:

**DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE. It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you and Mr. Weasley tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session. Professor McGonagall**

Harry was overjoyed and handed the note to Ron to read. "A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron whispered excitedly. "I've never even touched one."

Their exit from the Great Hall was swift as they were eager to unwrap the broomstick in private before their first class. However, they were unexpectedly blocked by Crabbe and Goyle on their way upstairs. Malfoy, seizing the package from Harry, felt it and couldn't hide his jealousy and spite. "That's a broomstick," he said before throwing it back to Harry. "You'll be in for it this time, Potter. First years aren't allowed them."

Ron couldn't resist taking a dig at Malfoy. "It's not any old broomstick," he said. "It's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?"

Malfoy was clearly ruffled. "What would you know about it, Weasley? You couldn't afford half the handle. I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

Before Ron could respond, Professor Flitwick appeared, putting a halt to the argument. "Not arguing, I hope, boys?" he squeaked.

"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," said Malfoy quickly.

"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Harry. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"

"A Nimbus Two Thousand, sir," said Harry, his voice laced with amusement, as he fought not to laugh at the look of horror on Malfoy's face. "And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that I've got it," he added.

As they headed upstairs, trying to stifle their laughter at Malfoy's evident rage and confusion, Hermione made an unexpected appearance. She had a disapproving look on her face as she eyed the package in Harry's hand.

"I thought you weren't speaking to us?" Ron pointed out.

"Yes, don't stop now," Harry chimed in with a sarcastic grin. "It's doing us so much good."

Hermione huffed and marched away with her nose held high. Unfortunately, they didn't have time to unwrap the package as it was time for their lessons.

Throughout the day, Harry was so excited that he was absentminded and needed Ron's nudging in classes to stay focused and avoid collisions with walls. They rushed through dinner without paying much attention to what they were eating and then dashed upstairs to finally unwrap the Nimbus Two Thousand.

The broomstick looked impressive as it rolled onto Ron's bedspread, and even Harry, who knew little about broomsticks, could tell it was something special. With a sleek and shiny appearance, a mahogany handle, and neat, straight twigs that formed the tail, it had "Nimbus Two Thousand" written in gold near the top.