Threat

Jake

The meeting with the so called benefactors was not sitting well with me. They kept going over the same thing and I was getting tired of it already. I swirled then pen I was holding in hand while giving them a bored look. I had officially zoned out and nothing was going to bring me back.

"Then you'll need to step down as the CEO."

Except for that. I shifted my eyes from wherever I was looking and they settled on the two men.

"What do you mean?"

"You need lots of money,Jake. For us to be sure that we are doing the right thing we have to bring in a man we know well." He explained.

"You know me well enough. We've been working together for how long? More than two years or is it three?"

"Two and a half." The tanned one replied.

"Yes. What makes you think I won't be good enough to keep MY position as the CEO?"

"Wrong statement. We don't think you won't be good enough. What we are trying to put through I that we need a firmer ground to stand on."

I felt really offended. Clear communication.

"I'm really offended right now. Are you implying that my foundation has a weak base? That if I continue managing it it will fall?"

"Not that. Just...think about it and let us know. You have a month before we all pull out."

A month?! What in Earth was I supposed to even prove to them in a month?

They got on their feet. I stood up too because no matter the atmosphere respect remains. We shook hands and I gave them a tight lipped smile.

"Hope to hear you soon Mr. Blackwood."

I watched their backs as they walked out of the room.

Give up your position as the CEO. Their idea was absurd and I was most definitely not going with it. Or maybe it could work. Maybe the club needed another person who would see things from another point of view.

I was caught in between I'm going to think about it and it's a crazy idea and not worth a thought.

I took out my phone and called the first number on recent calls. The phone rung for what seemed like forever. I hung up.

I dialed the number again. No response. I groan internally.

Where was he when I needed him?

I walked to the outside where the driver was already waiting for me. I give him a polite smile.

"Leave it to me. I need to get to somewhere first." He nodded and bowed. He handed me the keys and made his way back to the inside. I did not bother to ask about what he was going to do.

I got in the car and pulled out of the lot. I did not know where I was going but I did know that it was not know or the club.

I drove for hours till it's started pouring. The rain started with light showers. Soon there was thunder and lightning and it was really dark.

Maybe not going home was not such a good idea.

I breathed in through my mouth and let the air out.

My phone rung and I picked it up almost immediately.

"Where the fuck are you?"

I didn't have it in me to pinpoint her cussing towards me.

"Um..." I was starting to panic.

"Jake." She called my name sternly. "You better not be driving right now Mr. I called the hotel and you were not there. I'm at the penthouse and guess what? You are not there. Oh and you want to know where I'm coming from? Exactly! The freaking club. Something else to know. You WERE NOT THERE!" She was screaming.

"I'm...I'm in the car."

"Good. Ask your driver to bring you home right this moment! I need a drink and I cannot have that if YOU are out there with this storm!"

"I'm coming."

"Coming? Are you driving Blakewood?"

"Yes. I'm on the sixth street."

"What on Earth are you doing there?! Okay. Okay. You park your car. No more driving. I'm on my way."

"You..."

"I'm already in my car Jake. Fucking park yours. I'm coming for you. Send me your location."

I looked at my hands that were shaking. I shook them roughly and grabbed on the whelm again. I licked my lips nervously and sighed. I pulled over and parked my car.

"You're not even in the sixth street!" Her voice screeched. "More kilometers and you'd be out of town. For godssake!"

She did not hung up.

My phone vibrated.

"Hey Ombra, can you hung up,I've got another call going through." My voice was shaky.

"I am not hanging up. You'll call them when you get home. Or even tomorrow."

I watched as the vibration stopped.

Headlights flashes from infront of my car. I covered my eyes and looked away at the same time.

The car stopped. I heard a tap on my window.

I turned to look and I could not make out the face clearly because of the rain.

I lowered my window and faced away as water splashed all over my face.

"What are you doing out here Jake?" The voice I recognized asked.

Oh he was going to get a piece of my mind once I got out of this car. I opened the door and stepped out.

I looked up to him. Water dripping from his hair,his eyes looked down at me and my heart skipped a beat.

"You...I called!" That was the most whiny voice I've ever used.

He pulled me in a hug. The warmth of his body dissolving the cold I was getting from the rain. "I'm sorry baby. The place had no service and...I'm sorry." He brushed my hair.

"It rung and you didn't pick up."

Why was is still on it? Right. I felt ignored. Again.

"I'm really sorry love."

The strings of my heart tightened at the word love that seemed to have rolled off his tongue so naturally.

I did not hear anyone approaching till  she spoke. "I love how you two are expressing your love in the rain but Josh here has very low immunity and I don't think I want him sick." Ombra spike from behind me.

I pulled away from Kevin but his hand stayed on my lower back.

"Ombra..." I said her name not knowing what to put after it.

"We are going home." She was shouting so we could get her voice.

"Can I stay with him tonight?" Kevin asked Ombra.

She cocked her head to the side.

"If he happens to come back home with a cough,that's on you." He said to him. "I'll call your driver." She got into my car.

"Let's go home."

'Home' that's what he called it.

Not 'my house'

Not 'my home'

'home' and I'd be lying if I say I didn't like the sound of that.