Chapter 1

October 30th, almost midnight...

It was one of those nights when Clarke hated driving, in the middle of a storm with thunder and lightning. The torrents of water fell on the pavement in front of her car, as if they were overturned buckets of water in the illuminated and noisy sky.

Unfortunately, she had no other way to reach her destination, the small town of Polis, in the area near Voyageours National Park, in the State of Minnesota

Unfortunately, she had no other way to reach her destination, the small town of Polis, in the area near Voyageours National Park, in the State of Minnesota. There she had been assigned by her boss, Inspector Marcus Kane, to investigate the apparent new serial killer who had been attacking in the area for a few months.

The seven victims found so far had the same marks on the bodies, and the strange detail that they had been drained of blood. What led Sheriff Reyes to assume that they were dealing with a serial killer. Which was the first and only one in the history of the area, and due to little experience, and little progress in the investigation, she decided to contact the department that specialized in serial killers and paranormal phenomena of the FBI. After sending the entire report of the case, the Federal Bureau of Investigation sent one of its best agents, Detective Clarke Griffin, who had just resumed her work after a short vacation.

After a difficult case in which she had been submerged for almost two years, and in which she finally managed to apprehend the serial killer, who had claimed the lives of numerous women, in the State of Massachusetts, Clarke was forced to take some rest, despite her protest. Her last vacation had been about three or four years ago, when she took a trip with her ex-partner to the neighbouring country of Mexico, for about two weeks. And although Clarke insisted to Inspector Kane that she only needed few weekends from time to time to catch up and to rest, her argument was not enough, and she had no choice but to accept the three weeks paid.

It was twenty days in which she almost died of boredom, despite having gone on a trip to Hawaii convinced by her good friend, agent Luna Rivers, for a week, in which she disconnected from the universe, but in which she felt something strange. The rest of the fifteen days she spent tidying up and cleaning her new apartment, and dealing with her ex-partner, who was trying to repair the irreparable, in the relationship that no longer existed for her. The cretin insisted that he regretted having been unfaithful to her, and that he would never do it again. Clarke not only did not listen to his new lies, the terrible performance of repentance, and the feigned pain of not having her by his side, but she completely blocked him from her life, after a long time, too long, in her opinion.

Having almost always been on the hunt for some serial killer, she did not know how to realize what others had tried to warn her about Agent Collins, that he was an inveterate womanizer who would never change. But, unfortunately, due to her little free time to analyse Finn's attitudes, she found herself too influenced by his charisma and quackery, detracting from the credibility of the warnings. That was until, one night when she arrived early to the apartment they shared, for the second time, she found the jerk fucking another woman in their bed. It was the moment when Clarke knew and accept the reality that she wasted her time, energy and heart in a miserable narcissist who did not deserve it, and without consideration or more opportunities, the toxic relationship ended, despite hurting her deeply, because she really adored him.