I'll be your partner

I bit my lower lips and wrapped my hand around my almost-naked body with multiple and chaotic thoughts running through my mind.

Fay and the other ladies' eyes roamed through my scarred body in disbelief.

Their continuous shocked gasps filled my ears, making me more ashamed than I already was.

 Fay stepped forward, with different sad expressions on her face, “Maia, I'm so sorry. I never expected this. We never expected this.” Fay said, ashamed. Her hands reached out to me.

 “Don’t touch me,” I screamed, nearly breaking down in tears. Fay sighed and withdrew her hand.

My arms were wrapped around me tightly. I turned my back toward them to hide the tears that were beginning to stream down my face. I bent over in a corner and cried out to myself.

 I never expected Fay to pull off my clothes forcefully, resulting in them seeing my scarred skin.

The torture marks of all I've gone through in the red flame pack were still vivid on my skin, and that's the last thing I want anyone to see.

Unexpectedly they…

They must be disgusted by my skin, isn't it? Or they must be filled with pity. It's one of the two… Suddenly, a strong, warm arm wrapped around me, which made me lift my head.

“Beta. Beta Wyatt?” I called while staring at his cold eyes, searching for any of those two feelings, but I only found warmth in those cold eyes.

“It's me.” He confirmed, and somehow that made all the tears I'd been holding fall. I wrapped my hand around him, tearfully, and began to cry my heart out to him.

Beta Wyatt, in return, wrapped his strong hand around me and gently hugged me. His hand kept on caressing my back as I let out all the tears I'd accumulated in the past.

 All this time, I've always believed that my mate would be the one to hear about my sad past and support me during sad times.

 Unexpectedly, it was this cold person who saved my life, found me a place to stay when Alpha Oswald was being pushy, and the one who ended up comforting me even when I was down. 

“It’s okay. You can cry it out.” He whispered in his usual freezing tone.

Somehow, his cold voice sounded nothing but warm in my ears, and it made me jealous. Jealous of who'll have such an incredible man as a mate.

Why can't I have such a good and capable man like Beta Wyatt? Why does it have to be Alpha Oswald, that scum?

“Thank you,” I replied, cleaning my tears and heaving gently.

I separated from him, and it was now that I realized that I was in Beta Wyatt's embrace in my bra and trousers alone, yet Beta Wyatt's expression didn't change.

It was as if he hadn't seen me naked.

 He's such a perfect man, except that he's a little cold and cruel.

Beta Wyatt nodded to me and said, “Your identity; you weren't being entirely honest, were you?” He asked me, and his eyes narrowed wickedly, which made me freeze.

“I've seen the marks before; was it something your relative did?” He asked me, but I fell silent. 

“It’s okay. If you decided not to attend the party as my partner and for what happened, I've asked the maids to keep their mouths shut. No one except for those who saw it will hear about it.” Beta Wyatt consoled.

 I lowered my head and bit my lower lips, hiccuping slightly.

Beta Wyatt stood up looking unperturbed, but I couldn't find it in me to reject him, after all he had done.

I reached out for his hand and raised my head to stare at him, “I'll be your partner.”

Since he had expected me to be his mate, how would he find someone else this quickly?

Besides, Beta Wyatt has done many things to help me. He rescued me from death's clutch, took me to the power axis pack, and saved me from becoming Lorelei's maid.

How can I refuse just one favor of his?

 Refusing will make me feel like an ungrateful person, which my parents raised me against. I didn't have the mind to do that, so I agreed to his demand.

 In the end, he told me he'd agree to a choice of mine as well.

Although I told him not to worry about it, nevertheless, he brushed off my argument and told me to think about it before he walked away.

 I stared at myself in the mirror with awe. Even though the staff had yet to finish their handiwork, I was completely blown away and head over heels in love with myself.

Ever since my parents died, the royalty status I held had disappeared without a trace, and seeing this image of myself, which should have become my reality if it weren't for my uncle, brought tears to my eyes.

 I was riddled with low self-esteem and anxiety at times.

However, at this moment, I discovered that I'd been thinking too much and the princess my parents gave birth to was still alive.

 I bit my lower lips and stared at myself through the mirror. I could see my burning rage.

Anyone would be shocked if they saw my current look; even if I caught the sight of hatred in someone, I'd be shocked.

The staff in the room were busy doing something one after the other, leaving me unrestrained.

After Beta Wyatt left, they all had normal expressions. Even after they saw my scarred skin, their expressions were calm with no trace of sympathy, which made me glad. 

“Woah.” The voice of one of the staff got my attention. I had just gone through the first batch of skin care treatments recommended by them. 

“Maia. You're so beautiful and perfect. Your mate is definitely a lucky man. Beta Wyatt and many other men in the pack will be stunned by your beauty. I bet all the mateless men will swoon over you tonight.” One of them praised me sincerely, which got my attention.

Even though I wanted to stay calm despite their words, I was quick to blush. It's been a while since I've done so, anyway, so I'll pardon myself. 

“My mate, huh? Maybe he has someone he thought was more perfect than me?” I quietly whispered with a careless laugh to their hearing.