Chapter 1 | Emma - Los Angeles

🔥🌈🌶️ RATED-18 ( Mature content )

Content Advisory
Read This Before Reading the this book.

This book may contain mature themes, sexual content, adultery, the abuse of power dynamics, and fraternization in a comedic context.

Do not read if you may be easily provoked by these themes or find such content offensive.

Notes: As a rule, odd-numbered chapters are plot/fluff, and even-numbered chapters are smut. Serious smut starts in upcoming chapter. Skip around if you're only here for one or the other!

(⁠°⁠ ⁠۝ ⁠°⁠)

She was late. This " Jenna :) " person had agreed to arrive at 8 a.m., and here I was standing on the sidewalk next to an overloaded U-Haul at 8:10.

"You can't block the loading zone!" the doorman shouted for what must have been the fifth time. A couple of people on the sidewalk had stopped to stare, and one of them whispered frantically into his phone.

"I didn't intend to!" I shouted back. "My help was supposed to be here ten minutes ago!"

The doorman scoffed. "Then move the truck and tell your help to meet you somewhere else. Or are you too high and mighty to drive a truck yourself?"

Something flared up in my brain. Hold it back, Emma, I told myself. This is not your company. This man isn't paid to deal with your bullshit. It was almost convincing.

"Hey."

The voice came from behind me, and I spun in an angry half-circle, just a little too quickly. I regretted it immediately when my eyes landed on the woman in front of me. A rush of dizziness swam up my body, and I stumbled backward by half a step. She reached out quickly, her warm hand landing on my elbow to steady me. It brought her close, and my senses were totally overwhelmed. Long blonde hair was everywhere. Broad, tanned shoulders stretched out from the tank top she wore. A pair of sunglasses hooked in the front of the tank made it dip far too low, and my eyes froze right there. She was so close, I could barely see anything else.

Her fingers on my elbow twitched slightly. The sudden reminder that she was touching me sent a powerful blush ballooning across my face. It was, unfortunately, my body's defense mechanism against hotness. I knew the feeling as well as I knew I couldn't control it, and that only made me blush more. I stepped back, pulling my hand from her elbow.

"Thanks," I muttered. I looked at her face now that I was a safe distance away, and I nearly stumbled again. Shocking blue eyes crinkled just a little at the edges, and a smile played around her pursed lips. Oh god, the face was overwhelming. I looked down, but I only saw muscular arms and strong fingers still outstretched to help. My elbow tingled where those fingers had been. Oh god, no.

"You're Emma?" she asked, as though she didn't know. I nodded silently, my mouth clamped shut so I didn't say something stupid. She smiled in greeting, that little twist in her cheek making my heartbeat stutter.

"I'm Jenna. And is this--?" She looked up at the giant truck we stood beside, then back to me.

"Right!" Business. We could talk business. This didn't have to be weird just because I was staring at the most perfect body I had ever seen. Focus, Emma! I swallowed, my mouth oddly dry.

"Right, this is it. The truck. And I'm Emma. And you're Jenna. And you're going to help me move across the country."

She smiled wider now.

"I'm loving how thorough this is," she said.

I mentally smacked myself and plowed forward.

"Look, the doorman is seriously unhappy about his loading zone. Let's just go over the terms and conditions and then get moving. There's no need to stay long enough to make a scene."