Chapter 9 | Emma - Amarillo [2]

We grabbed our bags from the back and handed off the keys. She muttered little protests the whole time, actually jumping in surprise when the valet called her ma'am. I barely held back a laugh at that. We made our way to the front desk, Jenna holding both our bags, as had become a habit.

"Welcome to the Barfield," the desk attendant said with a false smile.

"Last name on the reservation?"

I thumbed through my wallet and pulled out a card.

"No reservation, just two rooms for one night, please."

When she heard that, her eyes widened, and she checked a post with a note stuck to the side of her computer screen. Then her smile wilted, and her face reddened.

"Oh, I'm sorry, but we're nearly full. There's a conference in town, and two floors are under construction..."

"Really?" I looked around at the empty lobby. No elevators whirred with action, and there hadn't been anyone in line at the valet. I could only see part of the attached coffee shop from here, but everything in my sightline was empty tables and chairs.

"Are you sure about that?" She nodded forcefully, and I frowned.

"Could you maybe take a look at your computer?" I nudged. This was very strange.

She blushed harder, if possible, then typed at the computer for a moment. By the way, she kept shooting me looks, I half suspected she was typing nonsense.

"Oh, here's one!" she announced finally.

"What luck! It's the honeymoon suite!"

I felt a blush start to rise on my own cheeks. Jenna was standing a couple of steps back, but surely she could hear all of this.

"Are...are you sure that's the only room you have?" The woman nodded forcefully. Whatever was happening here was apparently outside my control.

This was foolish of me. Surely it was just a regular suite with a fancy name. This was a common sales tactic, so hotels could charge more for a normal suite. I sighed and slid my card across the counter to her.

"Fine," I said.

"Fancy suite it is."

"Honeymoon suite," she corrected. I rolled my eyes. It occurred to me just as I had finished signing everything that this room would certainly not have two beds. The thought of sharing a bed with Jenna after what had happened last night was unbearable. It wouldn't be possible to lay right next to her and not relive the way I had panted her name with my own fingers deep inside myself.

I cleared my throat.

"Is there any chance this suite has a pull-out couch?" I asked, trying to fight back my blush at the thoughts that battled for prominence.

The woman frowned.

"In the honeymoon suite? No, it's just a loveseat in the sitting area."

"What about a trundle bed?" I asked. Her perplexed look stayed. How could she be this oblivious? It was like she thought we were an actual honeymooning couple.

"Uh...we could send up an extra cot," she offered uncertainly.

"Excellent!" I was relieved to have this interaction over with.

"I'll expect a cot within the hour." She still seemed confused, but she checked a sticky note on the computer and then nodded. I rolled my shoulders as we crossed the lobby. The stress of the break-in had solidified into an unworkable knot. I hated to think of the tension headaches I'd be battling for the rest of the trip.