The Great Escape

"And we won't hear a word they say
They don't know us anyway
Watch it burn, let it die
'Cause we are finally free tonight"
— Boys Like Girls

     According to an age-old Verastorian legend, there was once a star which fell to the earth. Before colliding with the surface, it split in two, sending each piece hurtling in a different direction until an entire ocean separated them. At the very moment they touched down, their light was absorbed by the earth and buried deep underground.
     It's been said that one day, the star's light will resurface and when it does, it will shine ever-so brightly, illuminating the darkest corners of the world. Everyone everywhere will celebrate its splendor and they will know peace.

     Wait. What?

     So, someone a long time ago said that a star broke in half and hit the earth. Through the lens of science, this would be problematic for a number of reasons, the chief concern being that all life on the planet would most likely cease to exist.
     Okay—maybe they didn't mean "star"; perhaps, they meant to say, "meteor", but "star" just sounded more poetic. That makes sense. Now, let's discuss the light being buried and the prediction that it will return someday. While this sounds a little far-fetched, the fact that it will bring a certain world-wide harmony comes off as naively optimistic. But, think about it—most prophecies have a similar construct. They leave an aftertaste of hope.
     This hope has the potential to be the driving factor for some, while others find it to be much more destructive than despair. Then, of course, there are those who live somewhere in between the two camps—in the gray area. These are individuals who experience incredible highs and devastating lows; this tends to make them more interesting than most. They're fascinatingly flawed and constantly, consistently conflicted.

     Keep this in mind while our story begins.

     It all started on a Friday night in August 2023. An audience of 16,500 people had just spent the last 52 minutes singing, screaming, and moshing, as their favorite pop-punk band—90 Percent Ninja—performed the tracks off their critically-acclaimed platinum album. The band's front man stepped up to his microphone. He had the face of an aristocratic Brit, the teeth of an upper-class American, and the complexion of a southeastern Asian. The spotlight brought out the flecks of blue in the gray of his eyes. He was a beautiful, cultural amalgam, representing the ever-growing, mixed-race multitudes from around the globe. And the world knew him as Rufus Spencer.
     "We love you, Houston!" he yelled, raising a fist in the air. "Thank you so much for hanging out with us tonight. We couldn't have asked for a better crowd for the last show of our tour."
     A tech walked out onto the stage and traded out guitars with Rufus. The audience erupted in cheers, knowing the band had one last song to play.
     "I've gotta admit," Rufus said as he wiped the sweat from his brow. "It feels damn good to be home. And it's not often that you're welcomed home with a sold-out show, here at The Pavilion." He reached for a water bottle and took a quick sip. "Before we bring all of this to a close, I'd like to take a moment and realize a lifelong dream of mine." Rufus cleared his throat and then sang out: "The stars at night... are big and bright..."
     Every single person in the crowd responded with four up-tempo claps before singing back in unison: "Deep in the heart of Texas!"
     It was as if someone had brainwashed the entire crowd at an early age and suddenly activated them using a couple lines of lyrics. Actually, that's not far from the truth.
     For those who aren't native Texans, this musical exchange is closely akin to the urge to clap after hearing the first line of the Friends theme song: "So, no one told you life was gonna be this way..."
     Rufus tapped the distortion pedal on the floor next to the base of his mic stand. "So, we really need to thank y'all for making this song Number 2 on The Billboard Top 100 List. You made it happen and we are forever grateful." The crowd roared. "Here it is, kids. The last song of the night. It's called 'Douchebag' and goes a little like this..."
     He began playing the hit single's distinct guitar riff; it was playful, melodic, and incredibly catchy. The rhythm and bass guitarists jumped in, filling out the sound, while the drummer drove the beat with a simple yet original cadence.
     Rufus took a deep breath and then started to sing: