Centuries

"Some legends are told
Some turn to dust or to gold
But, you will remember me"
— Fall Out Boy

     Having felt he had completely conquered the marvelous city, The Prince bid farewell to Houston, catching a flight with two connections—one in Atlanta and one in London—which, of course was tedious, however he had a couple friends who made the trip enjoyable—Savannah and Lena, who were incredibly excited to experience the kingdom of Verastoria and everything it had to offer. Most of all, they were itching to see Rufus and wanted to hear all about his time with his newest friends.
     Savannah and Lena were absolutely captivated by the wondrous kingdom, which was illuminated by the bright city lights with dozens of orange-roofed trollies circling the streets. They looked out of their first-class window, pointing out places they definitely wanted to visit as their aircraft made its descent, landing on the north side, just outside The Financial District. Once they were on the ground, they were immediately chauffeured to The Palace, where the welcoming staff led Savannah and Lena to their special guest quarters in the south wing, while Vincent made his way to his own chambers. He breathed in the air, catching that distinct scent—the scent of vanilla and cinnamon mixed with a woodsy aroma, the scent unique to The Palace and The Palace alone. He opened the large oak door and there, sitting at his roll-top desk, was his doppelganger, the young man who had thwarted the faceless and villainous Salchester.
     "Hello, Mr. Spencer," Vincent said with a wide smile. "We meet again."
     Rufus greeted The Prince with an uncanny, identical smile. "I think, at this point, Your Highness, you can call me 'Rufus'. Don't ya think?"
     "Only if you address me as 'Vincent'. I believe that's a fair compromise."
     "Deal."
     "Listen," Vincent said as he folded his arms. "I feel like I need to apologize. The whole situation with Tyson never should have happened. I am truly sorry."
     "It wasn't your fault," Rufus replied as he stood up. "Tyson is—well—Tyson. We've never played well together. There's always been this friction and I think it just reached fever pitch. That's the long and short of it."
     "I can't tell you how happy I am that you see it that way," Vincent said as he pulled a recent issue of The Verastorian Looking Glass from his back pocket. The chauffeur had given it to him while they drove to The Palace. A picture of the rescued orphans was placed beneath the headline: "'THE SECRET PRINCE' FOILS DASTARDLY PROJECT". Vincent held out the newspaper for Rufus to take. "Is there something you'd like to tell me?" The Prince asked.
     "Yeah..." Rufus replied, sighing. "There was a little hiccup during my time here."
     "That's quite an understatement. I haven't the faintest idea of what I would've done in your position."
     "Honestly, I think you would've handled the situation better than I did. I'm so sorry that I kept you in the dark. It wasn't right; I know that now."
     "You're sorry. I'm sorry. We could go back and forth for days."
     Suddenly, a silky voice drew both of their attention to the open doorway. "The fact of the matter is you both were exactly where you needed to be," Quinn said as she stepped inside The Prince's chambers. "No offense, Your Highness, but you would've never been able to do what Mr. Spencer did, sweating out the COO of Elkotech while dominating The King's Game. And you, Mr. Spencer—I highly doubt you would've been able to find the necessary evidence that ultimately brought down Tyson Joules. You both used your unique gifts to make things right. There's no blame to assign here; there's only well-deserved commendation."
     Rufus leaned back on the roll-top desk. "Yeah, what she said."
     "I suppose we both rose to the respective occasion," Vincent said, really thinking it all over.
     "Nevertheless, I firmly believe we need to be wary of Salchester," Rufus stated. "There's not a doubt in my mind that he'll be back soon. I think we've only just scratched the surface."
     "Yes, the article mentions him, but there wasn't much detail on who he is or what else he's involved in," Vincent replied. "And a man that's capable of something like Project Coeus is a man that shouldn't be underestimated."
     "I concur," Quinn said while Rufus nodded in agreement.
     Then, Rufus perked up as he heard a familiar voice that cut through the heavily-weighted conversation.
     "Hey, loser," Lena said, stepping through the doorway with Savannah, who was just behind her. "You don't call, you don't write. Seriously, what's the deal?"
     "I was a little busy," Rufus retorted. "While I was away, did you do anything particularly slutty?"
     "Wouldn't you like to know?" Lena fired back with her mischievous Cheshire smile.
     Savannah moved toward her son and then pulled him in for a warm embrace. "Just for the record, I'm furious, but that can wait. What's this I hear about you being some kind of hero?"
     "No, no, no," Rufus said, shaking his head as he placed the newspaper on the desk. "I was simply doing what needed to be done. That's it—nothing more."
     "I'm glad you haven't lost that charming modesty of yours," Vincent said. "Whether you like it or not, you are, in fact, a hero."
     "As I've told you countless times, Roo," Savannah said with a tear welling in her eye. "You are extraordinary."
     The gathered group began to converse about all the happenings over the past few months—The Island of Misfit Toys, The Capes & Cowls Party, the high school football game, the county fair, the search for shipping container AMDD 112465, the loss of Samuel, The King's Game, the secret lab at Elkotech, the childhood home of Rufus Spencer, the court case Joules v. Spencer—they covered it all, allowing themselves a laugh here and there, while deeply appreciating each other for their invaluable support. After about a half-hour, Quinn volunteered to show Lena and Savannah the kingdom, just like she did for Rufus way back when. While the ladies began their Verastorian adventure, Rufus and Vincent discussed their plans, focusing on the immediate future and all that it entailed. Rufus found he needed to assure Vincent that he whole-heartedly believed what they were about to do was the right way to go about things; if they were being honest with themselves, they would understand that this was unquestionably the only way to move forward. They both knew exactly where they belonged.
     "And you're sure about this?" Vincent asked once more, really needing the affirmation. "You're positive that this is the right thing to do?"
     "Taking into consideration all that has happened over the last few months, this is the way it needs to be," Rufus replied, patting The Prince's shoulder. "At least, for right now. And c'mon, you should really trust me. I am the older and wiser one."
     "You're 13 minutes older," Vincent replied flatly, straightening his posture.
     "A lot can happen in 13 minutes," Rufus jested, grinning. "There's no telling what I picked up during that time."
     Vincent sighed. "If it means that much to you, fine. I acknowledge that you are older and wiser. Would you like me to curtsy now?"
     "Nah, I'll let you keep a little piece of your dignity."
     "Well, I should really prepare for the inevitable run-in with the press. It's time to put 'The Secret Prince' to bed. The people of Verastoria deserve to have a prince with a face."
     With that, Vincent walked out of his chambers while Rufus started going through his bug-out bag, making sure he had everything he needed. A moment later, a soft knock drew his attention once again to the open doorway. A rosy-cheeked Samuel stood before him, holding a brown paper package, tied up with string.
     "Samuel," Rufus said, feeling the amazing sensation of relief. "Please, come in, come in."
     Samuel took a few steps forward and extended the gift to Rufus with a tight-lipped smile.
     "Aw, you didn't have to," Rufus said, turning the rectangular gift in his hands.
     Then, an unforgettable meek voice spoke out for the very first time. "Yes, I did," Samuel said. "Rufus Spencer, you're my hero."
     Completely taken aback, Rufus had no idea how to respond. Instead, he pulled in Samuel for a tight hug, so thankful for this moment—the moment when he fully realized that it was all worth it.
     "Excuse me, gentlemen," a gruff voice interrupted. The King stood before Rufus and Samuel, throwing them both for a loop. "Might I have a moment of your time, Mr. Spencer."
     "Um—of course, Your Majesty," Rufus replied. "I'll catch up with you later, Samuel. We have so much to talk about."
     Samuel smiled and nodded, then scampered off quickly, as he found The King to be overwhelmingly intimidating.
     "So, you're the one who everyone is talking about," The King said, taking a step forward. "I must admit, I am impressed. And just so you know, I'm rarely impressed."
     "How did you know that I'm—well—not your son?" Rufus wondered, due to the fact that readers of The VLG believed it was 'The Secret Prince' who saved the day.
     "I have eyes and ears everywhere," The King divulged. "And after that night in the billiard parlor, I knew something was off."
     "It was that obvious, huh?"
     "Indeed. Regardless, I believe it's safe to say that Verastoria is forever in your debt. You have acted honorably and courageously. You must make your father incredibly proud."
     "Actually, my father and I, we're—um—let's just say, 'estranged'. I owe my upbringing, my principles, my values—all of it—to my mother. She was the one who worked constantly to bolster my career and took the time to guide me through my confusing adolescence; it's because of her, and her alone, that I am who I am."
     "I see. Well, she did a fantastic job. You're a fine, young man, Mr. Spencer."
     "Thank you, Your Majesty."
     "I should let you get ready. Press from the world over are anxiously awaiting for you and Vincent to make an official statement. I don't think they're remotely ready for the truth of the matter. I wish you luck and I feel it's important to say that you are always welcome here in The Palace. It would be an honor to host you anytime, for any reason. Good day to you, Mr. Spencer."
     "Good day, Your Majesty," Rufus replied, feeling absolutely validated.
     As The King left the chambers, Rufus started to prepare for the relentless paparazzi, but before he changed outfits, he first tore open the brown paper wrapped around a priceless gift; it was Samuel's Magna Doodle which held the neatly printed words: "I meant what I said." Rufus smiled and tucked the blue plastic tablet inside his bug-out bag.
     Rufus walked out on the front steps of The Palace, where innumerable journalists stood by, curious as to why an unbelievably popular American icon was charged with unmasking "The Secret Prince".
     "Good afternoon, citizens and visitors of Verastoria. My name is Rufus Spencer. It is an absolute pleasure to be the one who introduces you to your prince—a wildly gifted individual I have come to know and respect. This is a Christmas you won't ever forget. Now, I give to you the future king, son of Alexander, The Prince of Verastoria; put your hands together for Vincent.
     Countless cameras clicked and flashed as Vincent opened The Palace doors and walked down the white and silvery stone steps. Many were frozen in place, completely astonished by the inexplicable situation, unfolding before their very eyes. Two young men who shared a single face stood shoulder-to-shoulder as a plethora of photos were taken and shared by anyone and everyone with a social media account. Nobody could believe what was happening.
     "Now, I feel like we should tell you, this is not a magic trick," Vincent stated firmly.
     "Yes, we are but mere Muggles," Rufus added, thinking about the first conversation he ever had with The Prince.
     "And we'd like to tell the world that we have arrived," Vincent declared. "And we're not going anywhere any time soon. Truth be told, you'll be seeing a lot of us."
     A single reporter in the front of the crowd, opened his Google Keep app on his cell phone and quickly jotted down his idea for tomorrow's headline: The Prince & The Popstar.
     Unsurprisingly, the press had many questions for the pair. What do they plan on doing next? Are they really friends or is this some kind of PR move? Is there something in particular that can differentiate who's who? The rapid-fire questions seemed to never end, but after an hour of fielding inquiries, Rufus and Vincent went back inside The Palace which was extravagantly decorated for the evening's birthday festivities. There would be delectable finger foods, endless drinks, and a spacious dance floor, just waiting to be set on fire. These were to be the final hours of the popstar's Verastorian experience. Once the party wrapped up, he would have to be on the next flight out and travel back to The States to prepare for 90 Percent Ninja's World Tour.
     In The Palace's library, Ava stood alone, flipping through a few leather-bound books, filled with stories of longing and romance. Then, a much-missed friend appeared, dressed in a finely-pressed Ralph Lauren pinstripe suit. He slowly moved closer to Ava, who was trying her best to keep her mind occupied.
     "It's really good to see you, Vinny," she said with a half-hearted smile. "But, now isn't a great time. I don't—I mean—I can't—" She continued to struggle for words and then she sighed deeply. "Rufus is doing exactly what he needs to be doing. This is for the best. I can't allow myself to get wrapped up in something that has no future. For God's sake, he's Rufus Spencer. There's so much responsibility that comes with that and there's simply no room in his life for someone like me. This is good. This is right."
     The only response she received was a scoff with a light laugh.
     "What?" she asked. "Do you find my life to be humorous?'
     He then let his native American accent shine through. "No, it's nothing like that. I just realized something: You're a terrible liar."
     Ava's eyes widened. "Rufus?"
     That's when Rufus pulled Ava close and kissed her, deeply, intimately, passionately. If there were ever a thing like "True Love's Kiss", this was it. The electric chemistry was undeniable. It coursed through their veins and could be felt in their fingertips. This is exactly where Rufus needed to be. And there wasn't anyone who could convince him otherwise.

+ - + - + - +

End of Part I: The Riff

Part II: The Reprise will start rocking on January 27, 2024.