Everything is Alright

"I used to rely on self-medication
I guess I still do that from time to time
But, I'm getting better at fighting the future
Someday, you'll be fine
Yes, I'll be just fine"
— Motion City Soundtrack

      Rufus had never heard a voice that was so devoid of emotion; it was right up there with Wednesday Addams. Henry's stoic, vacant expression—also very Wednesday—added an unsettling layer of eeriness to their conversation.
     "Do you need a moment to formulate an answer?" Henry asked, his speech cadence slow, his enunciation sharp.
     "What?" Rufus asked, still off-balance as his mind raced to find an appropriate response.
     "Must I really ask you the same question a third time?" Henry wondered. It wasn't possible to read the look on his face, but the way he phrased the question led Rufus to believe Henry was growing irritated. "You certainly lack the cognitive skills of the prince."
     "Well, I—"
     "And it's noon. The prince never sleeps till noon. He always wakes before six."
     "Look, the past few days have been a little crazy and I—"
     "Are you an alien?"
     Rufus couldn't tell if that was a joke or a genuine curiosity. There was a brief pause as Henry stood by for an answer. This prompted Rufus to say, "Wait. Seriously?"
     "Are you a Life Model Decoy?" Henry continued to probe. "Are you a government spy wearing a micromask?"
     It was incredibly apparent that Henry was quite the fanatical conspiracy theorist, just short of a tin foil hat. He rattled off a few more left field suggestions, one absurdity after another, including bio-organic pods, shape-shifting devices, and alternate reality.
     "Whoa, whoa, whoa," Rufus said, holding his hands up. "I can explain everything—honest. Now, the truth, while not as—um—colorful as your ideas, is going to sound impossible, but I'm here to tell you that it's not. Improbable, absolutely, but impossible, no."
     "Okay," Henry replied, straightening his posture. "I'm listening."
     "My name is Rufus Spencer. As you can see, there are some striking similarities between the prince and me. Now, I'm sure you're wondering, 'Hey, where's the prince?' It's a valid concern and the answer is actually very simple." Rufus took a deep breath. "We've switched places. I am here in Verastoria while he's stateside in Houston. And it will be this way until Christmas."
     "You're Rufus Spencer?" Henry asked, trying to put the pieces together.
     "That's right."
     "And you and the prince have swapped lives?"
     "Also right."
     "That's ludicrous," Henry said, scoffing as he turned to face the full-length mirror in the corner of the room.
     "You think that's ludicrous? Really?"
     "It just feels like an incredibly flimsy story."
     "And all your silly little sci-fi scenarios—you think they're more plausible?"
     "They're more plausible than the surprise appearance of an American national treasure."
     Rufus sighed. "Alright, I think we need to approach this from a different angle. We're going about this all wrong."
     "What do you propose?" Henry asked.
     "We should break this down logically."
     "Pragmatic. Continue."
     "I remember hearing about this principle in philosophy where the simplest explanation to a complex problem is most likely the right one."
     "You're referring to Occam's Razor," Henry pointed out.
     "Right, Occam's Razor," Rufus said, after snapping his fingers. "Now, tell me—what would be the simplest explanation to all of this?"
     "That you and the prince switched places," Henry thought aloud, finally grasping reality. "But, why would you do such a thing?"
     "Well, I was a little overwhelmed with life and the prince wanted a taste of it. That's the abridged version at least."
     "He would've told his friends about all of this," Henry stated, crossing his arms.
     "Maybe he thought you'd try and talk him out of it," Rufus suggested.
     "We probably would have," Henry admitted.
     "So, is it all adding up for you now?" Rufus asked, hoping he had put an end to Henry's wild speculation.
     "The pieces do seem to fit together," Henry replied, staring off into space for just a moment. "Nevertheless, I require some additional perspective."
     "Additional perspective?"
     "That's right. Now, get dressed. We've got a bit of a trip ahead of us."
     "Hang on just a minute," Rufus said, climbing out of bed. "A trip? You're joking, right?"
     Henry started to sift through the prince's espresso-finished armoire, pushing aside any of Rufus' objections as he pulled out a pair of corduroy pants and a purple Henley shirt. "This will suffice," he said before tossing the clothes to Rufus.
     "Will you at least tell me where we're going?" Rufus asked, a second before a pair of white, balled-up socks hit him in the face.
     "Why don't you try enjoying the suspense?" Henry proposed.
     "Okay. Sure. I guess I could give that a go," Rufus mumbled as he began changing behind the partition.
     Soon after, while Rufus laced up his shoes, Henry cracked open the large oak bedroom door, just enough to stick his head out and make sure the long corridor was free of palace staff.
     "Looks like we're in the clear," Henry said, locking eyes with Rufus. "Let's move."
     They quietly walked down the hall and through these oversized, handcrafted double-doors. The massive room had a high vaulted ceiling and was walled with exceptionally tall bookcases, which boasted the prince's enormous collection of leather-bound books. Henry led Rufus across the well-worn, wood-tiled, parquet flooring to a shelf at the far end of the library. Henry pulled on the spine of a first edition classic—Antoine de Saint Exupéry's timeless tale, The Little Prince. There was a rumbling noise as the bookcase slowly swung open, revealing a dark and narrow passageway.
     This passageway led to an underground network of tunnels which dated back centuries, originally used by the king's mistresses. Henry guided Rufus through the winding labyrinth which opened on a grassy knoll, just beyond the northwestern stone-walled perimeter. Next to the passageway's exit stood an old, dilapidated storage shed which had been converted into a stand-alone garage. Henry twisted the dial on the padlock, quickly hitting each number in its combination. The locking mechanism then disengaged and Henry pushed open the door. Inside the dusty garage were a couple of rugged Yamaha ATVs.
     "Do you know how to ride one of these?" Henry asked as he tossed Rufus a bright orange helmet.
     "Actually, yeah," Rufus replied, strapping on the helmet. "A while back, I had to learn for this big scene that the director wound up cutting in the film's final edit."
     Henry donned a black helmet which had this iridescent finish. "Alright then," he said, revving his engine. "Onward."
     The two of them followed a two-track trail which wove around the northwestern tip of The Highwind Mountains. The surrounding wilderness was green and lush, holding on tightly to the passing season. Soon, Rufus and Henry arrived at the shoreline where they came upon a covered wooden rack with a variety of kayaks.
     "I've never ridden in a kayak before," Rufus admitted.
     "It's really quite simple," Henry replied, taking a kayak off of the rack. "You're going to use your core muscles more than your arms. Rotate your torso as you paddle; it'll give you some much-needed power behind each stroke. Alternate your paddling from one side to the other so you'll keep straight. If you're going in circles, you're doing it wrong."
     After getting their kayaks in the water, Rufus thought about all of Henry's advice and attempted to put it into practice. He fumbled a bit at first, but he soon found the correct rhythm and technique as he watched Henry glide forward effortlessly.
     "You're a fast learner," Henry said, a little impressed.
     "Well, it's hands-on learning," Rufus pointed out. "I've found that to be the best way for me to gain any skill."
     "Interesting," Henry thought aloud.
     Off in the distance, a little less than 200 meters away, was an island filled with towering sycamore trees. After a few minutes, Rufus and Henry pulled up to its small sandbar.
     "Welcome to The Island of Misfit Toys," Henry said as he gestured to Rufus to follow him into the forest of trees.
     They hiked through the uneven terrain and finally came to a wide clearing on the island. Rufus rubbed his eyes, partly from seasonal allergies, but mostly because of what lied before him.
     Five two-tone treehouses, each acting as points of a pentagon, had been built about 10 meters above the ground, using dark and light woods that gave them a striped appearance. They were all interconnected by rope bridges that ran every which way, creating an image that was a close resemblance to the Ewoks' home on the forest moon of Endor in Return of the Jedi.
     "Holy shit," Rufus whispered to himself.
     "Come, come, don't dawdle," Henry said as he began climbing one of the many ladders that ran up and into the trees.
     Rufus quickly caught up and entered the first treehouse through a hatch in the floor. Inside, every square inch of wallspace had been covered by countless Polaroid pictures. Most of them were candid shots, framing random moments in time, such as the prince on a beanbag, reading a book or Henry boiling water for tea on a propane camp stove. Two others appeared in many of the pictures; one was a youthful brown-haired boy, no older than ten, with large, curious eyes while the other was a beautiful, blue-eyed redhead with bunned-up pigtails and an alluring smile.
     "This is the prince's quarters," Henry said as Rufus continued to look around. "It's not much, but it's more of a home than The Palace ever was."
     "It's incredible. It really is," Rufus replied as he came across several neatly stacked books next to a canvas cot in the corner. They were organized by color which created a nice rainbow effect.
     "Come with me," Henry said, walking out onto one of the rope bridges. "It's time to meet the rest of The Crew."
     Henry led Rufus to the largest of the treehouses; it had two levels along with a functional electrical system which was powered by the solar panels fixed on the roof. Henry stood by the entrance, letting Rufus go in first.
     A sweet, melodic voice filled the space. "Oh, Vinny, thank God. We were so worried. Where have you been?"
     Up until this point, Rufus had never been one to believe in "Love at First Sight". It was horribly cliché and absolutely unrealistic. Its sole purpose was to drive Disney movies, leaving children to believe that their destiny is standing across a crowded room, waiting to sweep them off their feet so they can ride off together into the sunset. Nevertheless, it unapologetically crashed into Rufus and nothing would ever be the same. He finally understood the concept of instant attraction.
     "Vinny, are you okay?" the freckle-faced redhead asked, not realizing the hypnotic effect she had over Rufus. She snapped her fingers, trying to get him out of his trance. "Hello? Vinny?"
     "That's not Vinny," Henry stated as he stepped inside the treehouse.
     "Um, it looks like Vinny to me," the redhead replied.
     "Trust me—it's not Vinny," Henry said, taking a seat next to a silent young boy in the corner—the brown-haired kid from the Polaroids.
     "Okay, so if he's not Vinny, who is he?"
     "That has yet to be determined."
     "What?"
     Henry pursed his lips. "He claims to be Rufus Spencer."
     "Yeah, okay," the redhead said incredulously. "This is Rufus Spencer. Rufus Spencer is in our treehouse."
     "Do you have anything to say?" Henry asked Rufus, who was still awestruck. After a pause, Henry threw a wadded up piece of paper at Rufus' head.
     "Oh. Yeah. Alright. I'm Rufus Spencer."
     "You can't be serious," the redhead said, looking him up and down.
     "He's serious," Henry said.
     "This is insane," the redhead whispered. "Okay, so if this is Rufus Spencer, where is Vinny?"
     "Well, that's actually kind of a long story," Rufus replied. "The short version is we switched places. I'm here and he's back in my hometown."
     "Okay, now that's insane," the redhead said.
     "Ava, I don't think sanity was a part of Vinny's plans," Henry said, leaning back in his chair.
     "Ava..." Rufus said softly. It was a beautiful name that fit her perfectly.
     "Oh, right, you have no idea who I am, do you?" she asked, shaking her head. "I'm Ava. Ava Devereaux. And over there, in the corner, that's Samuel Winterfeld."
     Samuel started writing on an old blue tablet in his lap; it was a Magna Doodle—a tablet from the age of analog. He turned it around so Rufus could read it. It simply had the word Hi.

Rufus gave a small wave and then locked eyes with Ava, once again getting lost in her sapphire stare.
     "So, Rufus Spencer. Wow. I really can't believe it," Ava said.
     "You don't have to use my full name. 'Rufus' is just fine."
     "Right. Rufus. I apologize—this is just a lot to take in."
     "Take your time. I'm still wrapping my head around it myself."
     Henry cleared his throat. "Sorry to interrupt, but I think we need to back up a step. How can we be so certain that he is who he says he is?"
     Ava rolled her eyes and took a step toward Rufus. "Did he ask you for a DNA swab? Because that wouldn't be out of character."
     Henry stood up and folded his arms. "I think it's important we address this matter."
    "Oh, come off it, Henry," Ava retorted. "What does he stand to gain by lying to us about who he is?"
     "Our trust," he stated.
     "Trust is a two-way street," Ava replied. "We have to trust that he's being open and honest with us, just like he has to trust that we're not going to hit him over the head with a shovel and bury him in the woods."
     Wow, I feel so much better, Rufus thought.
     "Believe what you want," Henry said, walking out of the treehouse. "I'm still on the fence."
     "Don't worry about him," Ava said, moving closer to Rufus. He caught the intoxicating scent of her light perfume—peaches and cream. "He'll eventually warm up to you."
     "'Warm' isn't a word I'd ever associate with him," Rufus replied behind a small smile.
     "Touché," Ava said, sending a smile back. "Did he at least give you a tour of the place?"
     "Well, we stopped in the prince's room for a bit, but after that, we came here and... you know the rest."
     "Right. Okay, so I'll give you the lay of the land," she said before her focus turned over to Samuel. "Sweetheart, have you eaten anything today?" Samuel shook his head. "Go peek inside the larder. There should be some biscuits in there. Please eat something."
     Samuel scurried across the room to the opposite end where a large cabinet stood. As soon as Ava heard the rustling of a plastic bag, she brought her attention back to Rufus.
     "Alright. As you probably guessed, this is the common room of The Treehouse. We really just use it as a place to eat. Come on, let me show you upstairs."
     The top level served as a game room. In the center, there was a rustic wooden table which seated four. The walls around the table had shelf after shelf of countless board games, ranging from the classics like Monopoly and Clue, all the way to the current crazes like Settlers of Catan and Cards Against Humanity. The south-facing wall had a small door which led out to a tiny balcony, just big enough for two. Rufus and Ava stepped outside and she pointed out the different treehouses. 
     "So, you know that treehouse over there—that's Vinny's. That one, over there—that's Henry's. To the left, there's Samuel's, and mine is right over there."
     "This really is something," Rufus said, truly admiring the unique structure. "Who put this all together?"
     "We did," Ava said proudly. "I mean, I came up with the design, but we all had to pitch in during the construction phase. The work was brutal, but I think it was all worth it."
     "You can say that again."
     "It's the bright spot in all of our lives," Ava said, leaning on the railing of the balcony. "We come here and everything else seems to melt away."
     "Can I ask you something?"
     "Of course. What's on your mind?"
     "How did you end up here, on The Island of Misfit Toys?"
     "You got that from Henry, didn't you?"
     "Guilty."
     Ava sighed. "To be honest, sometimes I wonder how I got here," she said, looking down at her Chuck Taylors. "I mean, I suppose you could say that I'm just one of those people who are paying the price for the sins of the father."
     "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry."
     "No, no, it's okay. I'd rather tell you the story myself than have you hear it from someone else."
     Ava began to explain her tragic childhood. Her father once worked for one of Verastoria's tentpole industries, White Financial. He was one of the top accountants—a golden boy for the firm. After logging a few years with the company, he somehow got involved with a white-collar crime syndicate which used his unobstructed access to funnel money out of the kingdom's public works pension fund; millions of rings disappeared, without a trace, physical or digital. The only concrete evidence that law enforcement had was Ava's father's clearance card. He was immediately brought before the court where he was found guilty of embezzlement and sentenced to 15 years at the Zenia Correctional Facility.
     After the verdict, Ava went to stay with an extremely reluctant aunt and uncle. Soon after, once the news had reached reporters, it spread like wildfire, leaving her family in crippling shame. The citizens of Verastoria started to recognize who Ava was, no thanks to the pictures circulating on the interwebs, and it wasn't uncommon for her to be verbally harassed on the streets of the kingdom.
     "And that's that," Ava said, staring out into the trees. "I'm a social pariah. And I'll never be able to change that."
     "I'm so sorry," Rufus said sincerely. "That's terrible."
     "It is, but it also led me to find these wonderful friends I now have. Actually, they're more than friends; they're my family."
     "How did y'all meet exactly?"
     "It was really pure happenstance," Ava explained. "One day, Vinny, Henry, and I all set out, looking for solace through solitude. And on that day, we all discovered this island and ended up meeting in the middle of it."
     "And that's when you met your family."
     "That's right. That's when it all began."
     "What about Samuel?" Rufus asked.
     "Samuel came a few years later. He was taken in by the orphanage run by The First Church of Verastoria. Unfortunately, the program is woefully short-staffed, so Samuel is able to slip away unnoticed. The day we met, he had ventured into the mountains and we spotted him on the two-track. He became a part of The Crew that day. And I think we're all the better because of it."
     "It must be nice to have something like this," Rufus said, envying their connection.
     "Well, here's an open invitation. Feel free to take it or leave it."
     "In that case, I'm definitely taking it."
     "Good. Just don't play any of your music. I don't think I have enough ibuprofen on hand."
     "Oh. Sure," Rufus said, not really knowing how to respond.
     "Rufus—I'm kidding," Ava said with a little giggle. "I love 90 Percent Ninja. I have a number of your tracks on my Spotify playlist."
     This was brand new territory for Rufus. Ava had lied. It was a playful lie, but a lie nonetheless. It simply didn't trigger his once believed infallible ability of lie detection. It caught Rufus off-guard, but rather than being concerned, he was genuinely fascinated. Here was someone who was positively one-of-a-kind. Here was someone who could easily render him speechless while keeping him guessing at the same time.
     "Are you okay?" Ava asked, filling the silence Rufus hadn't noticed.
     "Yeah, yeah, sorry," Rufus replied, shaking off his thoughts. "I just have a lot on my mind. But, yeah, I'm fine. Everything is alright."
     "Everything is, isn't it?" Ava said with a wide grin.
     In that moment, Rufus felt something so foreign, so unexpected. He felt like the world had suddenly turned tolerable. And he never wanted this feeling to end.