Merlin meets the Great Dragon

The orb showed Merlin with a torch in his hand.

"Who do you think you are, boy?" Uther snapped, turning to Merlin. "Sneaking around at night!"

"I am so sorry, sire. I have no idea-"

"Why is the crystal showing Merlin of all people?" Arthur interrupted with a scoff.

"Merlin..." an ominous voice spoke from nowhere.

"Who said that?" Gwen frowned, "what a creepy voice!"

Gaius and Merlin turned to each other slowly; both of their expressions were the same. 'Oh shit.'

Merlin hurried down a staircase and entered a mysterious cave.

Uther froze; recognising the cave at once. His eyes bulged and his fists clenched.

"Merlin..." the voice repeated, before laughing terribly, the sound of it echoing across the chasm.

"What sorcery is this?" Sir Leon exclaimed, his eyebrows furrowed in concern.

Merlin squinted his eyes in search of the voice, "where are you?"

"Why aren't you running, Merlin?" Gwen shook her head in disbelief.

Out of nowhere, a great, big dragon flew down in front of him. "I'm here!"

"It's not possible!" Arthur gasped.

Morgana turned to Uther. "How is this possible?!

Uther didn't say a word. His jaw was clenched in anger. His eyes dangerous.

Gwaine, however, was staring at the crystal with an expression of being impressed.

Merlin stepped back in shock, breathing heavily.

"Still not running?! Merlin, do you have a death wish?" Gwen sighed.

"How small you are for such a great destiny!" The dragon smiled, looking pleased.

"It talks?!" Percival exclaimed, scandalised.

Hesitating, Merlin took a step forward, "why? What do you mean? What destiny?"

"Your destiny to be the biggest idiot in all of Camelot," Arthur muttered before laughing at his own joke.

Merlin was too stressed to pay him any attention.

"Your gift, Merlin, was given to you for a reason."

Merlin's face relaxed. "So there is a reason."

"Gift?" Gwen frowned. "What does he mean, Merlin?"

"I have no idea," Merlin lied, scratching his neck.

Mordred side-eyed him.

"The dragon must be talking about his gift of kindness," Lancelot offered with a chivalrous smile.

Merlin nodded at him appreciatively.

Arthur scoffed.

The dragon chuckled. "Arthur is the Once and Future King who will unite the land of Albion."

Uther's fists unclenched but he was still glaring at the orb. The need to know his son's future and his hatred of magic fought in his head.

Arthur leaned forward in interest.

"Right..." Merlin muttered.

"But he faces many threats from friend and foe alike."

Arthur frowned. Friends as well as enemies?

"I don't see what this has to do with me."

"Everything!" The dragon snapped. "Without you, Arthur will never succeed. Without you, there will be no Albion."

"HAHAHAHA!" Arthur cackled, snorting in amusement. "Oh that is one amusing creature."

"No!" Merlin shook his head. "No, you've got this wrong!"

"Finally getting something right, Merlin," Arthur agreed.

"There is no right or wrong, only what is and what isn't."

Gaius bit his lip anxiously. He could sense where the crystal was going with these visions. Merlin's magic was going to be exposed. He could feel it.

"But I'm serious! If anyone wants to go and kill him, they can go ahead. In fact, I'll give them a hand."

"That's treason, boy!" Uther finally broke his silence.

Arthur raised his hand, "please, father. Merlin wouldn't kill me. The thought of it is ridiculous."

"Sire, if I may; this was before I worked for Arthur. I would never harm the king."

"That does not excuse your words, boy."

The dragon laughed. "None of us can choose our destiny, Merlin, and none of us can escape it."

Mordred braved a glance at Morgana. He frowned deeply.

"No. No way. No. No. There must be another Arthur because this one's an idiot."

"Hey! Arthur frowned.

Elyan chuckled earnestly. Gwen slapped his arm.

"What?" He chuckled.

Gwaine smirked at Merlin.

"Perhaps it's your destiny to change that." The dragon said mysteriously. Merlin looked thoughtful.

"Merlin's destiny is to be trapped with Arthur?" Morgana shuddered. "Poor Merlin."

"Shut up, Morgana."

The dragon raised his wings and started to fly away.

"What a vague creature," Gwen muttered thoughtfully.

Merlin had to bite his tongue. 'Vague' was the biggest understatement.

"Wait! Wait! Wait, stop!" Merlin yelled. "No, I- I need to know more!"

"As do I," Uther glared at Merlin, who stared at his hands. "There will be consequences for this."

However it was too late. The dragon left Merlin alone in the dark chasm.

"So, for all this time I've known you, you've been friends with a dragon?" Arthur crossed his arms accusingly.

"I mean, I wouldn't say we were friends... exactly, but.. yes."

"Full of surprises, aren't you, Merlin," Arthur grimaced, grumpy.

Merlin fidgetted uncomfortably, afraid of what would be shown next.