The Truth of Morgana's Birth

The scene began in the physician's chambers. Morgana was seen unconscious as Uther stroked her hair. "So beautiful." He had tears in his eyes and Gaius stood behind him. Merlin was listening from his chambers.

"No!" Gwen gasped, "what happened?"

"You look like death, Morgana!"

"Thank you for that, Arthur." Morgana replied, though she also was rather concerned.

"Yes, Sire," Gaius said.

"I cannot watch her die, Gaius."

"Then close your eyes," Merlin muttered. He smirked, amused, then shook his head; silently scolding himself.

"I wish there was something I could do."

"Am I actually dying?" Morgana raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"Oh don't!" Gwen shook her head. "I could not take it!"

Uther watched the screen with a horrified expression.

"No, you don't understand," Uther repeated. "I cannot lose her. No matter what happens, she cannot die."

"Why are you acting as though you care?" Morgana frowned.

"Because I do care!"

"Only when I seem to be in danger."

"I will do everything I can, Sire," Gaius spoke sadly.

"No, Gaius. Whatever it takes. Whatever, I don't care. You must save her." Uther begged as Merlin listened at the door.

"Nosiness and sorcery," Uther grumbled. "I despise of you, boy."

"Ditto."

"What was that?"

"I said, 'righto'." Merlin lied, smiling politely.

"If I knew a way..."

"You're not understanding me, Gaius. Cure her. I don't care what remedy you use. In all these books there must be something." He paused and stared at Morgana. "Something in the Old Religion?"

"You are the biggest hypocrite I have ever had the displeasure to know!" Morgana fired. "You excecute those like me- Merlin! Those like Merlin!" She corrected quickly, her cheeks pink. "And you use magic yourself to fulfill your own wants!"

"It looks as though I am trying to save your life! Be grateful that I would risk my kingdom for you!"

"You are doing this only for yourself! You are a selfish man!" Morgana exclaimed, shaking her head in disgust.

Gaius uncrossed his arms. He whispered, "Are you suggesting?"

"Sorcery, yes," his voice broke.

Arthur glanced at Merlin and frowned. When Merlin noticed him looking he quickly looked away, covering his mouth with his hand and faking a cough.

"I know she's dear to you, Sire, but surely you're not going to risk everything for Morgana?"

"Thanks, Gaius, I love you too," Morgana mumbled sarcastically.

"Gaius, you don't understand. There's something you should know. Something I've told no one." He paused. "Morgana is my daughter. It was while Gorlois was away."

The hall was silent.

Arthur looked gobsmacked.

Morgana looked like she was about to be sick.

Uther had his face in his hands.

Gwen and Merlin shared an awkward look.

Morgana's finger twitched and her eyes moved under her eyelids as she lay.

"No-" Morgana muttered, her face paler than usual. She shook her head furiously. "No."

"He was fighting on the Northern Plains. Her mother, Vivienne, grew lonely." Uther explained with a faraway look.

"But my mother... she would never, she-'

"Morgana-"

Morgana suddenly looked furious. "She was grieving and you took advantage of that!"

"I assure you I did not!"

"You said Gorlois was your friend!"

"He was!"

"And this is how you treat your friends is it? It says a lot about the person you are."

"I understand, Sire."

"I do not," Lancelot admitted, scratching his neck.

"Same here," Percival agreed.

"I've said enough." Uther stood up. "The people must never know who Morgana really is, for Arthur's sake."

"Do not use me as an excuse for your selfishness," Arthur said, standing up and moving to stand by his sister. "You wished to keep Morgana's parentage secret for your own desire, not mine."

"Why would I do that?!" Uther argued.

"You wanted Arthur to be king, not your bastard daughter." Morgana spat.

Uther spun his head in her direction, furious. "You do not speak to me like that!"

"But it's true is it not?! That is why you did not tell me! As I should be first in line! I am the oldest. I have a right to the throne!"

"I stand by her," Arthur nodded, his expression solemn.

Uther scoffed. "You can not be serious?"

"She is my sister," Arthur said for the first time. He looked at her with an expression of pure respect. "I would be honoured to be at her side."

Morgana smiled softly at her brother.

"I assure you, Sire, your secret is safe with me." Gaius promised and Uther walked away.

"How many secrets have you kept for Uther after all these years, Gaius?" Merlin asked.

"A fair few."

Arthur swallowed the lump in his throat. He sighed. "He does not deserve your loyalty."

Morgana looked ill. Extremely ill.

"Are you all right?" Elyan asked her, frowning in concern.

"No, I refuse to believe it!" She shook her head, turning to the king. "You could never be my father!"

"It is the truth," Uther looked down at the floor.

"Gorlois is my father! He is my real father!" Morgana yelled. "He was kind and just! You are a tyrant and hateful!"

"You do not talk to me in that manner! I am your father and that is the end of it!"

"You have been a terrible father to Arthur and I do not wish to experience what it is like to be your daughter." Morgana looked away from the King and instead stared at her hands. She could feel her anger rise and her magic in her finger tips. She closed her hand to a fist.

Uther didn't have anything to say. He looked around at everyone staring at him. He glared at them before sitting down to watch the next scene, uncomfortable with the myriad of secrets that had been spilled.